What's new

Hughes Static IP settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rirusssma

Regular Contributor
I have a static IP and a RT n66u ver 360.62-1 firmware. Now, the router works if I use Automatic IP at WAN, to use the Static IP setting what would the additional information I would have to know to set it up.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

This is HUGHES NET SATELLITE PROVIDER I'm using, any settings for this router that would help this service will be appreciated

Last edited:
Call your ISP and ask.

If using the Automatic IP gives you the static IP you are paying for, then simply continue to use that. ;)

Yes, it gives me the use of my IP, however, was wondering if using the option of Static IP within the router would be more efficient.

I talked to the ISP and they said to ask ASUS for the numbers indicated in the included picture, thanks for the help.

2016_10_10_14_31_201.png

ip

Yes, it gives me the use of my IP, however, was wondering if using the option of Static IP within the router would be more efficient.

It's usually best to leave it on DHCP if that's what your ISP uses. This way, you ensure to also have the correct gateway and nameservers.

I talked to the ISP and they said to ask ASUS for the numbers indicated in the included picture, thanks for the help.

Someone is confused at your ISP - the numbers you point are provided by them. Asus has nothing to do with that...

[Someone is confused at your ISP - the numbers you point are provided by them. Asus has nothing to do with that...]

I will call them again now That I'm sure this is the case, its Hughes you know!

But will it be in anyway an improvement to use the Static IP instead of the Automatic within the Routers Firmware?

Thank you Merlin, we have several ASUS routers and always use your Firmware, It is just GREAT

Regards.-

But will it be in anyway an improvement to use the Static IP instead of the Automatic within the Routers Firmware?

None, unless you have any issue with their DHCP server when renewing your lease.

Thanks so much ..... another question: To make the N66U accessible remotely what do I have to check or uncheck,

Regards.-

Thanks so much ..... another question: To make the N66U accessible remotely what do I have to check or uncheck,

Regards.-

What do you want to make accessible specifically? The router supports FTP, SSH, its webui, AiCloud (and the network shares on your LAN), PPTP and OpenVPN tunnels, etc...

I would like to access the router externally with the :8080 and also Cameras that would have :8160 -:8162 -:8164. As you know, Hughes is very peculiar and I'm trying to get the most out of it.

Also, would adding High Gain Antennas to the N66U (like these) help the Router's output/range?

Appreciate your help and comments. Thanks Merlin

Regards.-

Those antennae (not a recommendation, btw) would flatten and extend the reach of the signal (ideally).

http://www.antenna-theory.com/basics/radpattern.php

The first image in the link above shows us what a standard (3 or 5 dBi) antennae should be doing. Now, imagine 'flattening' that donut with much less height and a little more reach (edge to edge).

Note that this high power antennae may only help if you have a single floor that you want to cover (more fully).

The best thing you can do is install john9527's firmware and also physically locate the router to the 3D center of the area to be covered instead. Taking care to have it at least 10' above ground level, with an additional 3' free space all around.

I would like to access the router externally with the :8080 and also Cameras that would have :8160 -:8162 -:8164. As you know, Hughes is very peculiar and I'm trying to get the most out of it.

Use Port Forwards (Virtual Servers) for the cameras.

For the router's webui, I recommend setting up a VPN server instead. I wouldn't trust the security of the httpd daemon used by the webui.

Thank you RMerlin for the information, is there a guide to better understand on accomplishing these tasks, we placed the cameras like one in the attached picture. For the webiu there was a setting that directly made it accessible thus it will be helpful to have a guide or info on how to set a VPN server.

Thanks again.

Regards.-
2016_10_21_1_53_05.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online