What's new

Hunting for better performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kartajan

New Around Here
Currently running on an Asus RT-AC68R with a Netgear EX6100 extender in the Living Room.
Internet is ATT "GigaPower" symmetrical gigabit internet.
2500sqft home, coverage is ok to spotty.
(4 Phones, 3 tablets, 2 laptops not shown in image)

I keep going back and forth in my head between simple and complicated- the main idea is to get reasonably fast performance with little upkeep. I like the idea of mesh with the simplified handoff, but I keep thinking that Plex/ Tablo may not play nice with it...
Revised_Network_Map.jpg

Last edited:
I keep going back and forth in my head between simple

Here's a gentle nudge - simple is good...

Keep things flat on initial setup - let the devices sort themselves out, and then adjust as needed...

if you want better performance you could always use a router with CPU connected ports and a faster CPU and for your wifi deploy MU-MIMO or even 3x3 AC and making sure your clients all have the fastest NICs available (use gigabit ethernet first, if you cant than use wifi AC). Make sure you place your APs well and wire them with ethernet. Make sure you use good wifi AC cards too that support 3x3 or MU-MIMO.

Having triband routers, have your slower devices use one radio, your faster devices use the other radio.

You could also make sure you dont have bottlenecks in your network (theres 1 between your switches). If you have to use multiple switches either use 10G or you could use LACP (requires semi managed switch that supports it).

As for the right valid channel numbers for various channel widths for WIFI:
20 MHz
: 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, (144, 149, 153, 161, 165, 169) NOT for EU
40 MHz
: 38, 46, 54, 62, 102, 110, 118, 126, 134, (142, 151, 159) NOT for EU
80 MHz
: 42, 58, 106, 122, (138, 155) NOT for EU
160 MHz
: 50, 114

Last edited:
Not really - what you have already might be enough...
That's the thing- I thought that what I have should be enough. But I have some weird dead spots and "the boss" gets annoyed at the whole changing from 1 wifi to the other thing.

Everything wired does ok, but I did just change from a cable modem to the ONT modem (200/20 to 1000/1000 internet) for the same money and was thinking if I needed to optimize or not.

That's the thing- I thought that what I have should be enough. But I have some weird dead spots and "the boss" gets annoyed at the whole changing from 1 wifi to the other thing.

Everything wired does ok, but I did just change from a cable modem to the ONT modem (200/20 to 1000/1000 internet) for the same money and was thinking if I needed to optimize or not.

Try getting something beefier instead of that range extender, maybe another AC68U. If you have a wired backhaul you won't be taking as much advantage of these mesh systems. You should be running them all on the same SSID for seamless handoff so you don't need to manually connect to different SSIDs.

If you have Ethernet run to or near the dead spots, you may need to add another access point there. If I read your diagram correctly the EX6100 is connected via Ethernet and running as an access point, correct? You could try swapping that out for a router converted to access point.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!