What's new

TUF-AX6000 vs GT-AX6000;which one is the better wifi router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trix3072

New Around Here
Hello, I'm currently living in South Korea for a while, and I'm looking for high-end Wifi routers for my studio apartment.
I'm planning to place 2 routers, since the studio is about 1780 sqft. (165 sqm.)
I'm planning to go for Asus since the products support Aimesh.
The GT-AX6000 and the TUF-AX6000 are the only Asus routers available here.
The GT-AX6000 seems to have better RAM, but it has only 4 antennae, while the TUF-AX6000 has 6.
Price wise, the two are almost identical.
Which one do you think I should get?
Thanks.

Welcome to the forums @trix3072.

Not the TUF. Today, not the GT-AX6000 either (if you have a choice).

The RT-AX88U Pro is what is the value buy today. Find a way to buy that model if you can (and it can go below the cost of the GT-AX6000 too, with sales.

Welcome to the forums @trix3072.

Not the TUF. Today, not the GT-AX6000 either (if you have a choice).

The RT-AX88U Pro is what is the value buy today. Find a way to buy that model if you can (and it can go below the cost of the GT-AX6000 too, with sales.
Thanks for the advice. However, the RT-AX88U PRO is unavailable in South Korea currently.
Between the two models, which one do you think I should get?

Between the two, the GT-AX6000 is the better choice.

But I would still wait for the RT-AX88U Pro to be available.

The GT-AX6000 is a much older model and will likely lose support sooner. Not to mention the older SDK, and older RF design vs. the current RT-AX88U Pro.

But I would still wait for the RT-AX88U Pro to be available.

The GT-AX6000 is a much older model and will likely lose support sooner. Not to mention the older SDK, and older RF design vs. the current RT-AX88U Pro.
Much older? Yeah, almost /twice/ as old right about now, but being a year apart ain't much in the big picture.

I'd like to peruse your references as to the SDK levels and RF design differences. All I've ever seen is they have the exact same system and radio chipsets / drivers.

The GT-AX6000 has been available since very early 2022, making it a 2021 model. Three 'design' years old today.

The RT-AX88U Pro has been available since late, first quarter of 2023, so yeah, it's three times younger.

My references to SDK levels and RF design are based on what RMerlin has stated on these forums (for the former) and the passage of time (for the latter).

Exact same system and radio chipsets/drivers? I somehow doubt that highly, given the huge time disparity.

I'd like to peruse your references as to the SDK levels and RF design differences. All I've ever seen is they have the exact same system and radio chipsets / drivers.

SDK HND 5.04: kernel 4.19
ZenWiFi Pro XT12
GT-AX6000
GT-AXE16000
GT-AX11000_PRO
RT-AX86U_PRO
RT-AX88U_PRO

ASUS GT-AX6000 v2
FCC ID: MSQ-RTAX5600
BCM4912/BCM6715
2021-11-22

ASUS RT-AX88U Pro
FCC ID: MSQ-RTAX6800
BCM4912/BCM6715
2022-12-08

ASUS GT-AX6000 v2
FCC ID: MSQ-RTAX5600
BCM4912/BCM6715
2021-11-22

ASUS RT-AX88U Pro
FCC ID: MSQ-RTAX6800
BCM4912/BCM6715
2022-12-08
ASUS GT-AX6000 v2

V2? I thought there was a discussion elsewhere that determined there was only one model GT-AX6000? Or did the original always have that model notation?

Last edited:
I was stating my truths. 🙂

Now, I have new ones.

But the partial quote doesn't do the truth justice either.

All that information is also available on the Github repo, of for some reason one wants to know the exact sub-revision used by each SDK variants