What's new

Import static IP assignments

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mlai

Regular Contributor
I do manual static IP assignments to all my stationary devices (TV/IP Dects/APs/smart hubs/IOT devices/ smart stereos..... Etc). It is a pain in the rear to reinput every single one when I had to reset the Asus routers due to various causes (eg botched firmwares.....). Is there a way to export the static IP assignments and reimport it into the router somehow?

I do manual static IP assignments to all my stationary devices (TV/IP Dects/APs/smart hubs/IOT devices/ smart stereos..... Etc). It is a pain in the rear to reinput every single one when I had to reset the Asus routers due to various causes (eg botched firmwares.....). Is there a way to export the static IP assignments and reimport it into the router somehow?
Static IP addresses are assigned at the client not the router. Reserve a block of IP addresses outside of DHCP and input the addresses at the client then you will not have to worry about imports.

Static IP addresses are assigned at the client not the router. Reserve a block of IP addresses outside of DHCP and input the addresses at the client then you will not have to worry about imports.
You are right. However, they can also be statically assigned by the DHCP (or maybe more appropriately named manually assigned) to the device when it request an IP via DHCP. And most DHCP servers on the routers nowadays. It is just easier for me to configure them in one place rather than on each single device. Also, there are some devices only support DHCPs.... For example, the AiMesh AP nodes where they don't allow you to manually set an ip once they are acting as an AiMesh node....... Another example, Ikea Traefri hubs have ZERO config option whatsoever and is DHCP only.

You haven't said what router you have or what firmware. Look for existing posts for your router about backing up and restoring the dhcp_staticlist nvram variable.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!