What's new

Improving Uplink Speed on Huawei UMG366 / Cradlepoint MBR900 Combination

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MichaelR

New Around Here
Hello All,

Hoping someone might remember working with the following old equipment... I am trying to decide whether or not I need to scrape my trusty Cradlepoint MBR900 for newer equipment.

On the T-Mobile network, utilizing speedtest.net, always testing speed to the same test server, while testing from the same physical location, I find:

Huawei UMG366 USB stick modem directly plugged into my laptop:
9.0-10.0 Mbps Downlink / 1.0-1.2 Mbps Uplink

Cradlepoint MBR900 with the same Huawei UMG366 plugged into it:
3.8-4.8 Mbps Downlink / 0.4 Mbps uplink

Question: How do I get the speeds, ESPECIALLY the uplink, to improve on the Cradlepoint??

I've tried several not-quite-logical things like changing the wireless channel, turning on and off traffic shaping, changing the channel width (20 versus 20/40), changing the transmission rates... all to no avail.

I should note that the same Cradlepoint MBR900 when previously used with a CLEAR USB modem had similar uplink speed issues (0.4-0.8 Mbps).

For what its worth, a Huawei B890-66 4G LTE Smart Hub, utilized under the same conditions (same physical location, T-Mobile, same speedtest.net test server) got about 9.0 Mbps Downlink / 9.0-10.0 Mbps Uplink.

Is there anything I can try to get this Cradlepoint MBR900 to perform, or should I buy new equipment?

Thanks,
Michael

The adventure above took place when my laptop was connected through WIFI to the Cradlepoint router (with the Huawei USB modem plugged into the router).

With the laptop connected to the Cradlepoint router via an ethernet cable (and the Huawei USB modem connected to the Cradlepoint) the results are the same: 3.8-4.8 Mbps Down / 0.4 Mbps Up.

So ethernet versus WIFI connections from laptop to Cradlepoint router are not the issue.

Thanks,
Michael

Hmmm... wondering if you're getting some desense on the 3G modem stick - is it plugged directly into the cradlepoint, or are you using a USB extension cable?

All things being equal, you should get similar performance from the Cradlepoint that you get with the stick plugged directly into the computer.

(last minute thought - check the APN in use on the Huawei stick - on the PC, it should be in the connection manager SW, and make sure that's the same APN being used in the 3G-WAN connection on the MBR900 - I've seen issues where the wrong APN can cause performance impacts due to rateplan differences).

Two really good suggestions -- thanks!

Desense... It was directly plugged into the router. Just tried an extension cable. No luck - same problem, same performance.

APN... Just checked on that. They match. Not the issue either.

But - duh! - 3G USB modem... The original problem remains unsolved (and I still want to solve it) but I think I'll also take a look and see if I can find a 4G USB modem for T-Mobile that the Cradlepoint MBR900 supports...

-- Michael

Hmmm... wondering if you're getting some desense on the 3G modem stick - is it plugged directly into the cradlepoint, or are you using a USB extension cable?

All things being equal, you should get similar performance from the Cradlepoint that you get with the stick plugged directly into the computer.

(last minute thought - check the APN in use on the Huawei stick - on the PC, it should be in the connection manager SW, and make sure that's the same APN being used in the 3G-WAN connection on the MBR900 - I've seen issues where the wrong APN can cause performance impacts due to rateplan differences).

But - duh! - 3G USB modem... The original problem remains unsolved (and I still want to solve it) but I think I'll also take a look and see if I can find a 4G USB modem for T-Mobile that the Cradlepoint MBR900 supports...

Actually, check with Cradlepoint support - they might have some recommendations - they're pretty sharp on 3G/4G modem devices - I was a partner with them on a 3rd party development years back...

And Huawei devices are a bit odd... they've got a lot of stuff that isn't part of the modem provider's board support package...

sfx

Okay, now I'm (more) confused... every single seller on eBay lists the "T-Mobile Jet 2.0 4G Laptop Stick" (Huawei E366 or UMG366) as a 4G modem. The original packaging (in my possession) clearly lists it as a 4G modem.

However, sfx2000 is correct, it is registering and functioning as a 3G modem with the T-Mobile software on my laptop. Not sure about with the router.

I should be very deep within 4G LTE territory and I am almost literally under a tower... Will take the router/usb stick to my office tomorrow definitely within 4G range and double-check this.

???

-- Michael

Last edited:
sfx2000 -- Just saw this. Yes, I will pay Cradlepoint support a visit as well on this. Thanks Michael

Actually, check with Cradlepoint support - they might have some recommendations - they're pretty sharp on 3G/4G modem devices - I was a partner with them on a 3rd party development years back...

And Huawei devices are a bit odd... they've got a lot of stuff that isn't part of the modem provider's board support package...

sfx

Are you sure that you are in a 4G LTE service area? Not all towers/regions have LTE by far on T-Mobile (poorest coverage).
Also, some of T-Mobile's service areas used what marketing called 4G but omitted the LTE term because T-Mobile started out with their 4G being based on other than LTE.

I'd switch to Verizon.

And don't use the Huawei modem as it is probably GOBI and T-mobile isn't.

Checking my equipment at my 2nd office location...

Huawei UMG366 (T-Mobile Jet 2.0 4G): This *IS* a 4G modem. The T-Mobile Web Connect Manager (when the stick is directly plugged into my laptop) keeps switching back and forth between 3G and 4G. I imagine this was happening yesterday too at location 1 when I saw 3G listed as the connection. My signal strength (according to the router when USB modem is plugged in) is at 86% - I am well in range. So there is the mystery of why the UMG366 does not reliably hold onto the 4G...

Then there is the original issue, which is my main concern. At location #2 I have the same problem -- with the Cradlepoint router I get about 4Mbps Down / 0.4 Mbps Up while with the stick directly plugged into my laptop I get 9-10Mbps Down / 1.0-1.2Mbps Up when in 4G mode, and 4-5Mbps Down/0.4Mbps Up when in 3G mode.

I can live with the 3G switching nonsense. If I can't get the Uplink to 0.8 or 1.0+ Mbps reliably through the Cradlepoint then I'll need to switch equipment.

At these same locations I get 10Mbps Down /10Mbps Up (location #1) and 40Mbps Down!/10+ Mbps Up (location #2) with a Huawei B890-66 4G LTE Smart Hub - so I can fix this problem if I feel like spending $180 for another B890-66 :)

Thanks,
Michael

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!