What's new

Inadyn configuration (files)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XIII

Very Senior Member
I'm super confused by https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/DDNS-services

There seem to be at least 3 Inadyn configuration files:
  • /jffs/inadyn.conf
  • /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf
  • inadyn.conf.add/inadyn.postconf
And at least two ways to invoke it:
  • automagically
  • manually from /jffs/scripts/ddns-start
I want to update three different providers:
  1. ASUS
  2. No-IP
  3. Cloudflare
Which provider should be configured in which file and what should I configure in the web GUI?

Also: How can I test this configuration? (dry-run with fake IP?)

/jffs/inadyn.conf
Does not exist in the firmware.

The others are identical to other services:
/jffs/configs/inadyn.conf
Will completely replace the config file generated by the firmware.

inadyn.conf.add/inadyn.postconf
First one is appended to the firmware generated config file.
Second one is a script that gets run after the firmware generated a config file, but before it runs inadyn.

Does not exist in the firmware.
That was confusing me, as the Wiki page states:
Code:
First, create an inadyn.conf config, and store it into /jffs/

I will experiment (tomorrow?) with having ASUS in the GUI and No-IP & Cloudflare in /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf.add.

That was confusing me, as the Wiki page states:
Code:
First, create an inadyn.conf config, and store it into /jffs/

I will experiment (tomorrow?) with having ASUS in the GUI and No-IP & Cloudflare in /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf.add.
That's because that method documented in that Wiki article involves running inadyn yourself through a ddns-start script rather than letting the router handle it itself through the firmware. I.e. it's a completely manual implementation.

Works like a charm (after removing the custom stuff I previously did in ddns-start and /jffs/inadyn.conf because I was confused by the Wiki page)

Why would I acutally need to configure DDNS? Is this to get remote access to my router? Or could that simply be done setting up an OpenVPN server I can connect to from my clients?

Or do I need to setup OpenVPN as well as DDNS? Are these two related?
Or is DDNS with custom script used to update my dns if my provider's IP changes?

I've been looking into setting up DDNS, but any of the example scripts are not for my provider. Also these scripts seem to use the older ez-ipupdate instead of in-a-dyne, so I guess I should look here instead?

What I would like to do is use my domain name to access certain services on my NAS, running on some port. Can this be done with an OpenVPN connection, DDNS setup and portforwarding?
I have a domain name, setup with a CNAME, e.g. home.mydomain.nl, which is registered with newsxs.nl, with two nameservers: ns1.nxshost.nl and ns2.nxshost.nl.
How would I setup a custom script for these?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!