What's new

Intermittent internet disconnections with RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J0hn

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-AX88U router and for several months I've been experiencing intermittent internet disconnections about every one or two weeks. My computer is connected directly to the router by a cable, so I know it's not a Wi-Fi issue. Each time I have to reboot the router for the connection to be repaired. I regularly update the firmware, and it is currently 3.0.0.4.386.

I have done extensive troubleshooting with my ISP, Superloop, who have shown that the problem is my router disconnecting from the internet but then failing to automatically reconnect. They have shown that the internet connection (100/40 Mbps FTTP) has been consistently available but my router keeps dropping out.

To help rectify the problem, I replaced my RT-AC86U router with an RT-AX88U two months ago but still the problem persists. Sigh...

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong please? I will attach the system log file in case it helps...

Thanks!

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    341.1 KB · Views: 137
I have an ASUS RT-AX88U router and for several months I've been experiencing intermittent internet disconnections about every one or two weeks. My computer is connected directly to the router by a cable, so I know it's not a Wi-Fi issue. Each time I have to reboot the router for the connection to be repaired. I regularly update the firmware, and it is currently 3.0.0.4.386.

I have done extensive troubleshooting with my ISP, Superloop, who have shown that the problem is my router disconnecting from the internet but then failing to automatically reconnect. They have shown that the internet connection (100/40 Mbps FTTP) has been consistently available but my router keeps dropping out.

To help rectify the problem, I replaced my RT-AC86U router with an RT-AX88U two months ago but still the problem persists. Sigh...

Can anyone suggest what might be going wrong please? I will attach the system log file in case it helps...

Thanks!

These log entries...

kernel: ERR: rdpa_cpu_tx_port_enet_lan#213: rdpa_cpu_tx_port_enet_lan failed. rdd_rc=120 tx_rdd_error_count=9217

... might suggest an issue on the LAN side. Do wireless clients lose their Internet connection? I'm suspect not.

Since the problem persists with the new router and the log suggests Ethernet LAN failed, I would investigate your LAN connections, cables, switches, and client adapter. And keep in mind the adage that 99% of all networking issues are cabling.

I could be wrong, of course, but that's my take on it.

OE

Great, thanks for your thoughts OE! If it is hardware related, why doesn't the router then reconnect after a few minutes?

From memory the wireless clients also lose their connectivity, but I'll double check the next time it happens.

I reached out to the ASUS router customer support who suggested I reset the router, which I've done. Seemed like their standard response ;-)

As it only happens every few weeks, I'll give an update if/when it happens again.

Great, thanks for your thoughts OE! If it is hardware related, why doesn't the router then reconnect after a few minutes?

Have you logged into the router to inspect its WAN connection status when it is supposedly not connected?

Have you inspected your wired client network connection status when it is supposedly not connected?

Maybe something in your LAN link is falling over and not recovering. Have you replaced the LAN cable? Do other wired clients have the same issue?

OE

Thanks for your continued interest in this problem OE!

Have you logged into the router to inspect its WAN connection status when it is supposedly not connected?
No I hadn't thought of that, thanks! I presume you mean to click on the Traffic analyzer, and then look at the Traffic Monitor.

Have you inspected your wired client network connection status when it is supposedly not connected?
No but I will next time, thanks!

Maybe something in your LAN link is falling over and not recovering. Have you replaced the LAN cable? Do other wired clients have the same issue?
All the wired clients go down together. I replaced the ethernet cable between the router and the NBN connection box when I installed the new router a few months ago. I am puzzled as to why it doesn't recover after an incident occurs...

No I hadn't thought of that, thanks! I presume you mean to click on the Traffic analyzer, and then look at the Traffic Monitor.

All the wired clients go down together. I replaced the ethernet cable between the router and the NBN connection box when I installed the new router a few months ago. I am puzzled as to why it doesn't recover after an incident occurs...

No, just look at the top of the main page, Network Map, WAN connection status.

Try removing all of the wired clients and see how just one behave. Maybe a rogue client/cable is crashing the LAN somehow.

Sidebar: If you reply to a post here, keep the member's name in the reply so that they are alerted. Otherwise, you may never hear from them again.

OE

No, just look at the top of the main page, Network Map, WAN connection status.

Try removing all of the wired clients and see how just one behave. Maybe a rogue client/cable is crashing the LAN somehow.

Sidebar: If you reply to a post here, keep the member's name in the reply so that they are alerted. Otherwise, you may never hear from them again.

OE
Thanks OE, I see that on the main page now.

Since it only happens every few weeks, it'll be a pretty slow process removing each of the wired clients and waiting to see if it crashes again. But you're right, there are things like a Merlin garage door opener as a wired client, which could well be causing the problem. Not that I've noticed the problem occur when that door is operating.

Thanks for the sidebar tip... did replying like this work?