What's new

Internet works fine, but can't access web interface...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrmotivator

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a brand new N66U which I've had for about a week, it's been working absolutely fine since I got it however since last night the web interface is unusable.

The internet on my PC (connectied via ethernet) and multiple wireless devices works fine. However when I try to access the web interface either directly through it's IP address (192.168.1.1), or asusnetwork.net, clicking on the device on my Network...anything, it either doesn't load at all, loads after about 5-10 minutes or partially loads a messed up version of the page I'm trying to access. It does this in multiple browsers and on my PC or my phone. I've tried doing a reset and re-installed the most recent firmware but it's still not working.

Any ideas? This is really frustrating...

What kind of modem/device (make & model #) is supplying your WAN side connection? It could possibly be trying to do some routing or taking up the IP that the router wants.

Hi PrivateJoker,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I have a BT Openreach Modem which was supplied for Plusnet fibre, looks just like this: http://www.plus.net/images/support/broadband/hardware/wnr1000v3/or-modem-connect.jpg

The slowness has been over the last couple of days, throughout multiple reboots and power-downs.

Just to mention, I have also tried restoring the firmware using Rescue Mode. It uploaded the whole firmware file and started restoring, which stopped about halfway through saying "Failed to connect to the wireless router. Check if the router's power LED is blinking, which denotes that the router is in rescue mode." It then started back up again with all the settings it had before as if nothing had happened.

I'm just clutching at straws here so feel free to tell me that was a fairly pointless exercise! Thanks again.

Ok that's very helpful, I think we're on to something. Just so I'm totally clear, you only have the BT Openreach modem, not the "BT Hub" as well? (Depicted together in this picture)

y6y8umeb.jpg

That's right, just the BT Openreach Modem plugging directly into the N66U. Pretty much like the bottom diagram you've provided but replace the HomeHub with the N66U :) I also have a Synology DS213j plugged into the N66U too, the web interface on this can be accessed with no delay at all.

I'll just add that testing shows blazing fast browsing/downloading speeds on all devices but the web UI just won't load 7/10 times. 2/10 times it loads partially after about 5-10 minutes (like below) and 1/10 times it will load with absolutely no problems.

http://imgur.com/nz3Kdj5

Would any more info help? Screenshots etc?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Ok, I did some reading and hopefully this is the issue. It's been a long time since I've had DSL, so hopefully someone (BT customer or otherwise) can correct or clarify anything I might misstate.

But for now, can you just plug one PC into your Asus and disconnect the Asus from the BT modem. If your PC still can't see the router, manually set the PC's network settings (use an IP of 192.168.1.5, DNS/gateway 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255 255.0)

Then go to the 192.168.1.1 setup page and click on the left for the WAN setup tab (or try "quick setup wizard," or whatever they call it) and verify that connection method is PPPoE.

For username try: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Then it appears PW is either: blank (if possible); any random singular character; or a p/w you setup earlier for your BT access.

If it doesn't like that username, try: Bxxxxxx@hgxx.btclick.com "substituting your own account number/s for the Xs." (All the BT specific info I found via googling stuff and isn't anything I personally know to be true...but am hoping that your router just wasn't configured in PPPoE mode properly)

Then click save & apply the settings. Power off the Asus & the Openreach modem. Let them sit a minute, power up the modem, wait for it to connect, then power up the router and see how your PC behaves that is hardwired to the router by trying to look at the router's UI @ 192.168.1.1.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a brand new N66U which I've had for about a week, it's been working absolutely fine since I got it however since last night the web interface is unusable.

The internet on my PC (connectied via ethernet) and multiple wireless devices works fine. However when I try to access the web interface either directly through it's IP address (192.168.1.1), or asusnetwork.net, clicking on the device on my Network...anything, it either doesn't load at all, loads after about 5-10 minutes or partially loads a messed up version of the page I'm trying to access. It does this in multiple browsers and on my PC or my phone. I've tried doing a reset and re-installed the most recent firmware but it's still not working.

Any ideas? This is really frustrating...

Are you by any chance running windows 8.1?

Hi again everyone,

Are you by any chance running windows 8.1?

I thought this might be it! I realised this is the first time I tried to access it since upgrading to Windows 8.1, however I'm getting the same logging in using Chrome on my HTC One.

PrivateJoker, I tried your suggestion (but using my Plusnet details as I'm not on BT) and still no luck. In fact I disconnected the NAS, the modem, everything. Ran a firmware restore and reset to factory settings and it didn't even work when trying to set it up again:

http://i.imgur.com/TvfR2Je.png

I'm close to giving up and RMA'ing it but I've still got hope I can sort it, surely it shouldn't have broken after a week?

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks again for your help everyone.

My guess

My guess is that the router is not at fault. It seems to be a browser issue. Have you deleted all of your browser history and reset all of Internet explorers settings to their defaults? (Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Reset) . I wouldn't RMA the device quite yet.

I'd try another browser and/or totally purge your cache & cookies, I wouldn't fold on the router yet.

So you've followed inputting your username per item #2 in these instructions, and set the connection for PPPoE?

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml

Check your ISP to see if they have user forums, if they do I gotta think that setting up one's own router with their modem is a very popular question. I did a little looking myself for you, but I'm at a disadvantage of not being totally up on DSL type/PPPoE/Fiber connections as well as some slight differences in the broadband & networking parlance across the pond (like is a UK "cabled modem" ≠ North American "cable modem," I don't think it is)! ;)

I'd try another browser and/or totally purge your cache & cookies, I wouldn't fold on the router yet.

So you've followed inputting your username per item #2 in these instructions, and set the connection for PPPoE?

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml

Check your ISP to see if they have user forums, if they do I gotta think that setting up one's own router with their modem is a very popular question. I did a little looking myself for you, but I'm at a disadvantage of not being totally up on DSL type/PPPoE/Fiber connections as well as some slight differences in the broadband & networking parlance across the pond (like is a UK "cabled modem" ≠ North American "cable modem," I don't think it is)! ;)

I agree. I've tried with Chrome, Firefox and IE11 and they all have the same problem (Firefox seems to load it slightly better though)

I did check all the settings and they all look correct, as I've said it's strange that the internet itself is working fine with no problems. I bought the N66U because I actually saw on the Plusnet forums that it's the most popular device to replace the provided router.

I originally thought this was a problem due to upgrading to Windows 8.1, however I had the same problem on my phone using Chrome. However I've just checked and weirdly it was working absolutely fine using Firefox for Android, so I re-checked Chrome for Android and that too is working fine, although connecting to it from my PC is still broken. Even trying to connect to it with nothing else (Modem, NAS etc) plugged in or connected wirelessly.

I think this is looking possible that it's down to Windows 8.1, however I'm not sure what's changed. Has anyone else upgraded and checked theirs?

Thanks again!

Compatability View

Is their a Compatibility View toggle setting for the version of Internet Explorer that is running under Windoze 8.1? I'm running IE 10 here under Windoze 7 and it is under the tools menu. If you can find it, toggle it and try to access the router's pages.

@mrmotivator you don't have a non Win 8.1 machine you can try? To help isolate the problem further?

At the same time, I feel like we would be hearing from other Win 8.1 people that they are having login problems to the RT-N66U admin interface, not just you.

Could you even try from a mobile device? And share screenshots?

No issues here accessing the router's web interface from IE 11 with Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Are you running ESET SS7? I have problems ever since upgrading from version 6.

Something funky is going on with IE 11 on Windows 8.1, but the Chrome browser is fine. Right at the moment, if I try to bring up the admin GUI for RT-N66U on IE, IE freezes...I also have Nod32 version 7, and when I disable it, the same thing happens. It may be that disabling Nod32 from the system tray doesn't disable everything it does. IE 11 seems to be working fine otherwise. I may report this to eset and see what they say.

Anyways, this isn't a problem for me, I only use IE 11 for stuff that Chrome can't do. Which is less and less all the time.

Last edited:
Something funky is going on with IE 11 on Windows 8.1, but the Chrome browser is fine. Right at the moment, if I try to bring up the admin GUI for RT-N66U on IE, IE freezes...I also have Nod32 version 7, and when I disable it, the same thing happens. It may be that disabling Nod32 from the system tray doesn't disable everything it does. IE 11 seems to be working fine otherwise. I may report this to eset and see what they say.

Anyways, this isn't a problem for me, I only use IE 11 for stuff that Chrome can't do. Which is less and less all the time.

@rogersc, if you kill it's processes manually in task manager does that make a difference?

I'm stuck on Win 8.0 64bit, my old AMD dual core CPU is unsupported for 8.1! :(

@rogersc, if you kill it's processes manually in task manager does that make a difference?

I'm stuck on Win 8.0 64bit, my old AMD dual core CPU is unsupported for 8.1! :(

Turns out if you wait long enough, IE unfreezes, but the admin GUI is still not displayed. You're left looking at a blank white page with no URL showing in the location bar, but you can exit IE normally.

If you want to exit IE while it's frozen, yes, I used the task manager to do that, and that's fine. It kills IE "cleanly" and you can then go about your business with a more robust browser like Chrome *smile*.