What's new

Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The device itself does not support backup. But the backup software EMC Retrospect, which is included in the box, does also support backup of network drives. So you can use it to back up the NAS.

Regards, Michael

Iomega and Ntfs

My Iomega HMNHD does not recognize a USB drive formated in NTFS. I had to go with FAT32.
When a Iomega support person responded to this issue on the Iomega forums, they said there must be a bug and it is difficult for a device running Linux to work with NTFS.
Not a good answer when the packaging lists NTFS as supported.

UPS Recommendation

Users of this forum might already know better, but I initially set up my HMNHD w/o a UPS and ended up with a deceased NAS. After a few weeks of enjoying its use, my home had a brief blackout. After the blackout, the NAS lights would flash and the drive would turn, but it would never show up on the network. Iomega's own forum mentioned a similar symptom and hinted at the improper shutdown being the culprit. So I dug out the 1 TB seagate drive and all the data was there in good shape, albeit reachable only linux. (Thanks, Knoppix)

When it arrives, the next one will be hooked to a UPS from the moment it's out of the package.

A lot of users are getting their Iomega HMNHD "bricked" (network disabled/unaccessible) after upgrading to latest firmware 2.0.38. Please read about it here.

twonky admin

I just installed my drive last night .. first thing I did was upgrade it to the latest firmware: 2.038 .... Everything is working great .. it's even downloading torrents!

That said .. they must have also "closed" the twonky admin page.
When I go to port 9000 .. I see a red page that says "Access is restricted to MediaServer configuration!"

Does anyone know how to "get around this"

Thanks!!

Iomega is inquiring users about the HMNHD firmware 2.0.38 update issue (brick/non-connecting state) requesting for feedback by answering specific questions here.

Firmware upgrade 2.0.39

Iomega has released a firmware upgrade 2.0.39, get it here. All went well on my upgrade this time. You may post your firmware upgrade feedback here.

Iomega has released a firmware upgrade 2.0.39, get it here. All went well on my upgrade this time. You may post your firmware upgrade feedback here.

Mmmm... Iomega pulled this firmware, no longer available to download. Some users reported issues with it. We're supposed to get a fixed firmware soon... I must say, following the review from Tim it seemed a well balanced (performance wise) single drive NAS (for its price) so I bought it but it's revealing itself as quite troublesome and feature lacking.

Some feature requests for the Iomega HMNHD here. Add your own, perhaps Iomega will consider them!

Firmware upgrade 2.0.40

Well... don't know if any of you are interested but.. Iomega has released a new firmware upgrade 2.0.40, get it here.

Hopefully it will correct the issues we're having with previous firmwares. Still, there are yet a lot of feature requests to attend to...

os software

Hello,

I have had a Iomega but unfortunately it fell on the ground still running so now the harddisk is crasht. Absolutely my fault of course so I decided to buy another harddisk but it didn't work, so I informed Iomega about this. They said I needed the software which is installed on the disk but I couldn't get it, it was against policy...they said I had to buy new one!
I was very disappointed and agry to, I just had it for 3 weeks!

Now my question, has anyone got a idea or is maybe able to rip the installed software of it so I could start using it again?

ps excuse me for my english but I am dutch.

Kicks Offline on Large Files-Copies

Iomega Home Media 1TB

Easy to setup and great software interface.

Main Problem:

Tried copying mutli gigabytes worth to this disk and it kept kicking offline after about 20 mins of operation.....think the write-intensive op and heat may be a factor.

returning the product...

Beware of firmware version 2.040

My drive worked great until I upgraded the firmware to 2.040.
Now it locks up when Norton Ghost trys to back up to it.
It makes it 10 to 40 % of the way through a 270 G backup
before locking up. I have to power cycle the drive to get
it back up again.

Access twonky

I have a HMNHD with firmware 2.0400 that is working great. And I have activated the UPnP in my XP.

When I click "Iomega" from "My network places", it open Internet explorer with: "http://172.23.248.2:9000/index.html" and it show a red page that says "Access is restricted to MediaServer configuration!"

Thanks!!

Hello,

I have had a Iomega but unfortunately it fell on the ground still running so now the harddisk is crasht. Absolutely my fault of course so I decided to buy another harddisk but it didn't work, so I informed Iomega about this. They said I needed the software which is installed on the disk but I couldn't get it, it was against policy...they said I had to buy new one!
I was very disappointed and agry to, I just had it for 3 weeks!

Now my question, has anyone got a idea or is maybe able to rip the installed software of it so I could start using it again?

ps excuse me for my english but I am dutch.

If the original disk works, you may be able to create an image of it (like ghost or similar) and replicate it to the new disk.

I have a HMNHD with firmware 2.0400 that is working great. And I have activated the UPnP in my XP.

When I click "Iomega" from "My network places", it open Internet explorer with: "http://172.23.248.2:9000/index.html" and it show a red page that says "Access is restricted to MediaServer configuration!"

Thanks!!

Iomega blocked access to twonky media server configuration page, since firmware v. 2.038. Remains blocked until today.

os software

Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello,

I have had a Iomega but unfortunately it fell on the ground still running so now the harddisk is crasht. Absolutely my fault of course so I decided to buy another harddisk but it didn't work, so I informed Iomega about this. They said I needed...
Hello jotapesse,

thats the problem, he doesn' t work anymore.
Can you upload your image for me?

greats!

abarrow on the twonky formun at http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=27698 posted a helpful reply that worked for me with firmware 2.063.

"I don't know if it's any help, but you can get a full-graphics Twonky page from the Iomega Home Media Network Drive by going to http://<IP>:9000/webbrowse."

Dave.

The /webbrowse is ok, it just doesn't give you access to the admin page.

Thanks to the guys at Nas-Central, I've been looking at the /usr/local/TwonkyVision folder.

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1890

It would be nice to be able to edit the ini file to enable the admin page. I'm not sure how to do that as it appears that if you edit the file via 'VI' it appears as gibberish. Viewing it in 'more' displays the file.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!