What's new

IOZone failure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Basta

New Around Here
I'd like to map my NAS performance using IOzone like described in the SmallNetBuilder article. However if I perform a test it fails. My NAS has FreeNAS installed which is based on FreeBSD 7.1. I'm running IOZone on OSX which is connected to the NAS through as Samba share. When I run a test I get the following error:

~ Bas$ ./Temp/iozone3_321/src/current/iozone -Rab ./Temp/iperf-170409-OSX-1GW-2HDD-RAID1.xls -i 0 -i 1 -+u -f /Volumes/Data/Temp/temp.ioz -y 64k -q 64k -n 64k -g 4G -z
Iozone: Performance Test of File I/O
Version $Revision: 3.321 $
Compiled for 32 bit mode.
Build: macosx

Contributors:William Norcott, Don Capps, Isom Crawford, Kirby Collins
Al Slater, Scott Rhine, Mike Wisner, Ken Goss
Steve Landherr, Brad Smith, Mark Kelly, Dr. Alain CYR,
Randy Dunlap, Mark Montague, Dan Million, Gavin Brebner,
Jean-Marc Zucconi, Jeff Blomberg, Benny Halevy,
Erik Habbinga, Kris Strecker, Walter Wong, Joshua Root.

Run began: Fri Apr 17 09:41:16 2009

Excel chart generation enabled
Auto Mode
CPU utilization Resolution = 0.000 seconds.
CPU utilization Excel chart enabled
Using Minimum Record Size 64 KB
Using Maximum Record Size 64 KB
Using minimum file size of 64 kilobytes.
Using maximum file size of 4194304 kilobytes.
Cross over of record size disabled.
Command line used: ./Temp/iozone3_321/src/current/iozone -Rab ./Temp/iperf-170409-OSX-1GW-2HDD-RAID1.xls -i 0 -i 1 -+u -f /Volumes/Data/Temp/temp.ioz -y 64k -q 64k -n 64k -g 4G -z
Output is in Kbytes/sec
Time Resolution = 0.000001 seconds.
Processor cache size set to 1024 Kbytes.
Processor cache line size set to 32 bytes.
File stride size set to 17 * record size.
random random bkwd record stride
KB reclen write rewrite read reread read write read rewrite read fwrite frewrite fread freread
64 64 13849 26403 32389 32160
128 64
Can not create temp file: /Volumes/Data/Temp/temp.ioz
creat: Permission denied

If I look in the FreeNAS Temp folder I can see that the temp file was created without permissions:

~ Bas$ ls -al /Volumes/Data/Temp/temp.ioz
---------- 1 Bas staff 0 Apr 17 09:41 /Volumes/Data/Temp/temp.ioz

I don't understand why it creates the file without permissions. If I manually copy a file to the Share is has 666 rights.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Does anyone knows a solution to this?

First thing I would check out would be your permissions on your NAS. I have not encountered this exact problem but I imagine it mostly has to due with the permissions on the NAS. You should be able to setup your Samba share to allow everyone read, write, and delete access.

00Roush

Yeah that's what I thought too. My Samba is configured to have a creation mask 777 for folders and 666 for files. If I copy anything to my NAS, I see that some files have 766 rights but they all have at least read and write all. Whether I do it from windows, OS X. Also a CP command from SSH creates a file with 777 rights. IOZone must do it different I suppose. How do I solve this?

So from what I recall when I setup FreeNAS all that was necessary was to setup a CIFS share using the webGUI interface with the authentication as anonymous. Most of the time I always setup things to 777 permissions (Ubuntu or any other linux version) with guest access to get things setup and test with. Not sure if that is how you have it setup but you might try that first. I have never tried to setup file sharing on a Mac so I am unsure what setting are possible but I imagine the defaults should be set to work in most situations. To my knowledge Iozone needs 777 access to work correctly.

Not sure if all of that helps or not... It has been a while since I have used FreeNAS. If you haven't solved your problem by Monday I will boot a copy of FreeNAS up and setup a quick test. Let me know if you get it figured out.

00Roush

I've set the create mask for the Samba service to 777 and did a few tests:

• A CP command from a OS X shell gives a file with 777 rights
  • Dragging a file in OS X to my NAS gives 644 rights
  • Dragging a file in Vista gives 422 rights

Pretty consistent.

In the meantime I have the test running with my windows pc. So it must be some kind of IOZone/OS X combination problem. It looks that I still can't get rid of Microsoft ..... yet. Thanx for all your help.