What's new

Lenovo IX2-DL Asking for Original Drives After Power Adapter Failure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigdaddy034

New Around Here
I get the following error after the power adapter failed & I replaced it. The drives were not changed. Lenovo ix2-dl Not Ready Your device is in an inconsistent state because the original drives were replaced. You can either put the original drives back or perform a factory reset to erase all existing data and use the new drives. To perform a factory reset you must first clear the administrator password by pressing the reset button on the back of the device.

How would I go about doing that? Would I have to attach the drives to my PC using an external HDD adapter? I have one.

Yes. Put them in the dock and boot from a Linux USB and then you can run fsck on them either through the GUI or command line. Windows won't work for this.

Yes. Put them in the dock and boot from a Linux USB and then you can run fsck on them either through the GUI or command line. Windows won't work for this.

I wouldn't do that - rather, enable SSH on the NAS, and you should be able to fsck the array from there...

If I recall, the Iomega/Lenovo device is a MDRAID system, so you can't check the individual drives, rather you need to do this with the array mounted in mdadm, which it is likely already is....

as @Tech Junky mentions - it's most likely a dirty filesystem from a hard shutdown...

How would I go about doing that? The web interface doesn't allow me to do anything.

Attachments

• Lenevo.png
    Lenevo.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 15
Chicken and egg situation. You could just try ssh to the NAS as it might already be enabled. In this case though I would advise making a backup if you don't have one already. This is going to get dicey.

It's either not ready due to dirty disks or the ROM image is corrupt and needs a reset.

I would start with the disks if you have a couple of sata ports to plug them into and run fsck as stated before. If it doesn't find errors then the NAS needs to be reset and this is where a backup is needed since most NAS units don't let you bypass the auto format of disks. Though upon reset with the disks out it might be avoidable. Once reset you should be able to enable ssh and maybe there's an option to not initialize the disks. Once reset there might be a GUI option to import the raid vs create a new one.

Any of them would work but I use Ubuntu personally. It's a Debian base so there's less HW compatibility issues compared to say BSD.

Well - things can get interesting - the drives can be recovered, but keeping things intact might not be an option...

Good read here - Anandtech and a Synology Raid Recovery effort - this article is a few years old now, but likely still valid...

Thank you for the link. I was unable to see the drives that were in my Lenovo NAS when connected with either a external HDD Drive Cable or my StarTech drive caddy. I used UFS Explorer & was able to see my folders containing my data. I am copying all the data to a separate external drive. I'm not very familiar with this software. Do you know if this software can rebuild the RAID on these drives where I can reseat the drives in the NAS & it would be back to normal, or should I just reset the NAS & recopy the data to the NAS?

Verify that the data you recovered is usable, first.

Reset the NAS, and perform an extended test on the drives afterward. Do not move the data back to the NAS, be sure to copy it (you're still testing if it is stable and reliable).

How old are the drives? If the PS failed catastrophically, I would not be trusting them too much today. Or the NAS, for that matter.

Sorry for the late reply. I verified my data is good & just recently purchased a Synology DiskStation DS223j. Just waiting for it to arrive. The drives were tested & are good as well. I will copy the data to the new NAS. Thanks again.

Make sure that you backup your data to an external drive, ssd or spinning rust, that is normally not plugged in. A NAS is not a backup.
If the data is critical or not replaceable, have two backup devices, one in a separate location and rotate the use of the media.

Late to the party, but I know this NAS well as it is the next generation incarnation of the Intel SS4200e. SSH in and you have linux right there on the unit. You have to enable ssh access in the gui. By this time I think you've used a linux live cd to boot and get your data, so you should be able to return the drives to the unit and it work fine. If not, you can ssh in and fix it right there.

The DS223J is a great unit too (I have a DS215J and 2x DS213J units). Just keep in mind that you will lose all the data on the drives from the Lenovo, so I would just get a new drive for the DS223J since you can use a single much larger drive and not run into this situation when you make it JBOD vs raid anything.

And for whatever reason if you're not going to try to reuse the Lenovo and are considering trashing it, I could give it a good home where it will still be used. Just PM me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!