What's new

iPhone tethering...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

philippeannet

New Around Here
using 390.59 Merlin on an AC88U (aka AC3100)

I'm just having trouble this morning with my ISP, and I'd love being able to use my iPhone as a backup Internet connection... can do so from my PC, but that prevents me from using my Xerox MFD, as well as all the things that hang on my internal LAN...

Tried hooking my 6s via USB without success (on both ports), and settings up the backup 3G/4G connection... I believe this doesn't work... nor in Modem mode, nor in Android phone mode (which seems logical...)

Using the USB tethering from an iPhone should probably be no rocket science, and would maybe help quite a bunch of people... having to pay extra fees for a 3G/4G stick (i.e. for the SIM card in it) is ridiculous, given that we ALL have a smartphone with sufficient data volumes to overcome occasional failures of the ISP...

Regards
Philippe

Using the USB tethering from an iPhone should probably be no rocket science, and would maybe help quite a bunch of people..

If would be, if Apple didn't rely on proprietary technology. iPhone tethering would require special kernel-level support.

Usually when you connect an iphone in a new computer with USB, it ask for an authorisation wich you can't have in the router. Perhap you can do an Access point and connect with the router on it ?

Well USB tethering works on Linux, but requires some additional modules and other things (cf. Gentoo article)... so indeed probably not that trivial...

Still, when my WAN is dead, I'd love to be able to use my phone's (or tablet's) 4G connection as a backup, instead of paying yet another abo for nuts 99% of the time... and Wi-Fi tethering can't be that much of a hassle... it's in fact putting the router in some sort of client-bridge (or eventually repeater-bridge) mode... and it would be just nice if that was possible without reconfiguring everything (and reverting back afterwards...), but it's just cheap and easy wishful thinking, I know... ;-