What's new

iptables reporting incorrect eth0 data bytes on rt-ac66 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

larry axtell

Occasional Visitor
I am using a script which relies on the iptables command to obtain byte count usage from the forward chain to report totals by device. When I get the wan directly from the isp modem it works fine. Sometimes I need to get my internet service from a 3g/4g modem though. I have tried to use the usb modem directly on the router and it locks up occaisionally so I purchased a cradlepoint router for the network source. It works reliably for me. I still need to get data usage statistics. I plugged the asus router behind the cradlepoint router. The networking part works just as if I were plugged direct into the isp modem. It works great just like an access point. The problem is it only reports a small percent of the actual data usage from the eth0. The ifconfig command reports the right counts as does /proc/dev/net (/sys/.........) . I have tested extensively from the command line playing with the rules and cant figure it out. What am I missing here? I need iptables to work because I can get stats by device.

The forward chain is bypassed when NAT acceleration is enabled. Disable it under LAN -> Switch Control.

Thank you so much for the reply. I love your posts. I don't know how you have time to do this. I will try that. I have an ASUS rt-ac66.

It Works!! You have no idea how much time you have saved me. I might have known you would be the one to solve this. I will figure out a way to make a donation. Keep up the great work.