What's new

IPv6 bug?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DarkWolfSLV

Occasional Visitor
I recently upgraded to 384.13 and I noticed my network lost its IPv6 capabilities.
The router itself it is receiving a valid IPv6 and it is able to ping things on the internet like Google IPv6 DNS, but none of my devices can.

I noticed that the LAN side does not has an IPv6 address, but my devices do.
During my testing I confirmed that I'm not even able to ping the WAN IPv6 address on the router.
I cannot find a way to modify the - Stateful IP Pool Starting/Ending Address fields either.

Attaching a few screenshots.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IPv6.png
    IPv6.png
    74 KB · Views: 301
  • ping.png
    ping.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 276
  • ipv6 configuration.png
    ipv6 configuration.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 301
Anything relevant in the system log? Occasionally I notice IPv6 not working and the cause is usually
Code:
Xxx  # ##:##:## rc_service: skip the event: start_dhcp6c.

If that's the case for you as well, you can SSH into the router and use the command "service start_dhcp6c".

Hello Dabombber!
To be honest I totally forgot to check the logs, there are a few kernel events that I do not understand, but nothing related with dhcp6c or IPv6 that I can find.

Not sure what happened, but this morning none of my devices are getting an IPv6 address.

Attachments

• logs.txt
    290.1 KB · Views: 250
I upgraded to the newest version (384.14) and I still cannot make it work.
The only way my devices get an IPv6 is if I force ALL the settings, but since those are not real IPs my IPv6 connectivity cannot go beyond my LAN.
I tried using a /65 prefix but ASUS does not understands that and having the same /64 on WAN and LAN does not work either for obvious reasons.

@RMerlin please let me know if you would like me to share additional information.

Attachments

• IPv6 forced.PNG
    IPv6 forced.PNG
    29.3 KB · Views: 297
Can you post a screenshot from System Log -> IPv6?

This will also show IPv6 settings and which clients have an IPv6 address.

And who is your ISP?

Hello @CooCooCaChoo
Attached is the screenshot requested.
My ISP is Google Fiber - the WAN interface does have a valid IPv6 that I can ping from the internet.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Ipv6 logs.png
    Ipv6 logs.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 297
Hello @CooCooCaChoo
I have Skynet and Ad-Blocker installed, I believe the latter one uses the dnsmasq.conf

Would you recommend to go back to default settings and start fresh?

Just FYI - I did a factory reset with the newest version, and still the same problem.
My LAN devices cannot get an IPv6, so I have disable IPv6 all together for the moment.

@DarkWolfSLV, did you also unplug your modem/ONT device for at least 10 minutes?

@DarkWolfSLV, I would suggest powering off your entire network then, (for min. 10 minutes, I prefer 60 minutes where I can get away with it), including unplugging all power, USB, LAN and other cables that are connected between them.

Power on the modem/ONT and wait 5 minutes. Connect your Ethernet cable to you modem/ONT and your router and power it on and wait 5 minutes. Then, plug in the rest of the Ethernet cables to your router and clients and then power on the rest of wired devices. See if these steps help for your case, they've solved more 'glitches' than I can recall right now for my customers. ;)

I recently upgraded to 384.13 and I noticed my network lost its IPv6 capabilities.
The router itself it is receiving a valid IPv6 and it is able to ping things on the internet like Google IPv6 DNS, but none of my devices can.

I noticed that the LAN side does not has an IPv6 address, but my devices do.
During my testing I confirmed that I'm not even able to ping the WAN IPv6 address on the router.
I cannot find a way to modify the - Stateful IP Pool Starting/Ending Address fields either.

Attaching a few screenshots.
Thanks.

Happens to me on every reboot.
Workaround: after reboot go to your IPv6 set up page & change something, eg get dns automatically - change to manual. Press “apply” & you (should) be in business. :)

Happens to me on every reboot.
Workaround: after reboot go to your IPv6 set up page & change something, eg get dns automatically - change to manual. Press “apply” & you (should) be in business. :)
My apologies for the delay guys, I tried both suggestions and I still cannot make it work.
If I plug my PC directly to router Google Fiber gave me I do get IPv6 (the same way the router it is getting IPv6 on it's WAN interface).

I'll keep it disable for the time being en revisit later.
Thank you!