What's new

IPv6 Passthrough behind CGNAT: Can I access the local network from the Internet with the Public iPv6 address?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

Using TMHI (T-Mobile Home Internet), therefore no Public IPv4 due to CGNAT, but I have enabled in the router (AX88U) IPv6 Passthrough and it is working fine, I have checked with https://test-ipv6.com and everything works.

Can I leverage the Public IPv6 address to access the Local LAN from the internet with VPN? I don't know if the VPN solutions embedded in the AX88U are locked to IPv4 only?

Thanks

T-Mo filters all inbound connections over IPv6, and IPv4 is link-local via their IPv6 translation layer...

That being said - you could do a VPN over to an external service running a VPS, and then tunnel from there...

On windows devices, run these commands in elevated cmd

Code:
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled

• This will disable Windows 10/11 temp IP assignment.
  • Reboot your PC
  • After reboot, note your IPv6 from settings app
  • Add that static IPv6 to Asus Router's Firewall IPv6 section and the port you are trying to access. Eg. Remote Desktop uses 3389 port.
  • This way, you can access that particular PC directly without VPN.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!