What's new

Irqbalance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJones

Very Senior Member
Curious if irqbalance would improve performance on Asuswrt-Merlin. It’s available for openwrt, but doesn’t seem to be on opkg packages. Although I could probably compile it from git. It’s primarily used for servers and well it would potentially increase network performance it would sacrifice general performance and power saving… or so I’ve read.

“Irqbalance is a daemon to help balance the cpu load generated by interrupts across all of a systems cpus. Irqbalance identifies the highest volume interrupt sources, and isolates each of them to a single unique cpu, so that load is spread as much as possible over an entire processor set, while minimizing cache miss rates for irq handlers.”

How does your /proc/interrupts file look? Most of my “imbalanced” IRQs are Broadcom related, and probably wouldn’t react well to moving them around.

When this question was asked a couple of years ago:
I experimented with irqbalance a few years ago, and saw zero performance difference. Might be because Asus is manually finetuning IRQ assignment at boot time. I also assign CPU cores to OpenVPN processes to ensure that running multiple clients will spread the load across all cores (and also avoid if possible using the first core that's already used by a lot of things).

Might just stick to adding it to my server only. Was curious if it would help with the router, but sounds like asus might cause me to break something if I try.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!