What's new

Is it possbile to attach qos rules to VPN interface traffic?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FreshJR

Very Senior Member
So all VPN traffic goes through interface tun21.
Inbound WAN traffic goes through interface eth0
Outbound WAN traffic goes through interface br0.

Qos sets up TC rules for eth0 and br0 interfaces. Unfortunately this seems to mean that VPN clients are not bound by QOS rules and can drain network performance (mainly upload).

I would like Tun21 traffic to go through a queuing discipline already in place on interface br0. This will constrain the VPN clients to share upload bandwidth set by QOS rules.

Traffic control is used to set queuing disciplines for a single interface. I am not aware of an ability to have two interfaces share a queuing discipline.

I think to achieve what I need I have to study iptables mangle routing. Here is the default mangle table.

Code:
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 26724 packets, 7256K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
  469 35727 MARK       all  --  tun21  any     anywhere             anywhere             MARK xset 0x1/0x7
 2536 1558K BWDPI_FILTER  udp  --  eth0   any     anywhere             anywhere

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 15660 packets, 3255K bytes)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 11060 packets, 4000K bytes)
    0     0 MARK       all  --  any    br0     192.168.2.0/24       192.168.2.0/24       MARK xset 0x1/0x7

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 15843 packets, 6579K bytes)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 27083 packets, 11M bytes)

Chain BWDPI_FILTER (1 references)
    0     0 DROP       udp  --  eth0   any     anywhere             anywhere             udp spt:bootpc dpt:bootps
   64 24352 DROP       udp  --  eth0   any     anywhere             anywhere             udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc

Note: I have the option
Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic = Yes
So all internet traffic should be going encrypted from the client to my router and then into the internet, instead of the directly from the client to the internet unencrypted. I am trying to use the VPN for all WAN access instead of accessing my LAN traffic only.

I will try learning the in's and out's of this table, but if anyone has an answer to my need, I would appreciate the shortcut.

What I don't understand is that wouldn't all VPN traffic have to pass through the br0 & eth0 interfaces first before passing through the VPN? If so, then why aren't QOS limits followed at those boundary points. I do not see how I am getting speeds in excess of my QOS limits on the VPN client.

Can it be compression applied to the data? Or is it possible that the VPN client is not following the "Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic" direction.

I may be barking up the wrong tree. I will have to experiment more to see what is happening with the data paths.

Last edited: