What's new

Is the 87U capable of being tricked out?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elorimer

Part of the Furniture
We're all having a ball tricking out our routers with the addons, maybe not so much because it is necessary but because it is fun, and a hobby. But these addons add load.

For about eight months I've had a 56U going with the diversion/pixelserv/scribe package, and some others, in ambient temperatures of around 78 degrees (F). (In Florida, no pun intended). No issues.

I'm now in the process of putting an 87U in the same location and the same role. This 87U has been doing fine for years sitting on a large laptop cooling fan in ambient temperatures in the high 60s. But here, without a fan, it is getting flaky. After about 20 minutes, the CPU is at about 82, the 5G radio is about 75, and the 2G is about 45. At that level the 5G radio is flaky, the media bridges break contact and things slow down. I assume there is some throttling going on. I'm not speaking of what the wife is threatening.

There is an old thread here about cooling the 87U. I've tried things with the 87U upside down (no change). I've tried it with the back end elevated (so air would exhaust out along the back), which dropped the 5G around 1 or so degrees, but still exhibiting flakiness. I've tried the router on its side, with the CPU side up, which dropped the 5G about 3 degrees. Best is a small fan blowing in the left side, which lowers the 5G to around 57 and the CPU to 62. Things are mostly stable then.

I have a pair of infinitis coming to blow up into the two bottom vents--one fan less than 120mm won't do anything with this design--but I'm not sure this will be worth it. The 87U draws around $6/year more power than the 56U, and the fan will add another $4/year.

I'm really thinking the cooling design of the 87U is not really up to the loads of these add-ons. Are others having this issue?

Why didn't you just continue using the fan that was keeping it so cool? :)

Well, I didn't think to bring the fan on the plane.

"Cleaned out the unit". You mean, blew dust off the insides?

Yes, clean out the unit from dust, etc., you want to open it up to do the best job.

Why don't you just get the same fan then? :)

ah man saw the words "tricked out" and thought RGB. add some spice to the room. plus RGB is free Gigahertz. everyone knows this.

Not enough dust to sneeze at. I put the 56U back, 30F cooler, while I think about this.

Attachments

• IMG_20200216_162639.jpg
    IMG_20200216_162639.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 242