What's new

Is the RT-AC68U or Netgear R7000 overkill for my situation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kantonburg

Occasional Visitor
Like everyone who ended up here I've spent WEEKS searching routers.

I currently have a WRT54G v2 running DD-WRT. It's been disconnecting a lot lately after years of zero problems. I'm sure it's the number of devices after Christmas causing this over the router. After a couple of weeks I settled on the TP-Link WRD3600. There were a lot of complaints of it not working after 6 months and I waited around and the wife finally got fed up and said buy what you want :D

So now I'm here. I know the site lists the Nighthawk as the highest rated router. The ASUS brand has been so popular for so long so here is my setup.

Here is the list of wireless items we have in our house. (Keep in mind not everything is connected at once)
(3) Xbox 360s (one of these is right beside the router and is going to be wired soon)
(1) Xbox One
(2) Kindles
(1) nabi
(4) phones
(2) Blu-Ray Players
(2) Laptops
(2) Desktops Wireless
(2) Desktops Wired

I have Comcast internet Blast service (105mbps)

So the ultimate question is do I gain anything by spending the extra for a Nighthawk or AC68U or would the AC66U be more than capable to handle these devices?

I know this has been asked so many times and after reading thread after thread I'm still confused to if the higher end routers will benefit me. My main situation is I want something stable that can handle several of those devices at once.

Thanks

I have the ac68u. it's a dual core processor, AC, usb3. With RMerlin fimware, it shines. I use it for vpn, backup (there is a 4TB attached to it), ...and routing.

If you just want to just "route", the ac66u (single core processor) will make the job.
You can also consider the ac56u, ac68 brother with internal antennas if the house is not "that" large.

Since you don't seem to change your router frequently, I would go with either the 56 or the 68 (~100$ more).

I have the ac68u. it's a dual core processor, AC, usb3. With RMerlin fimware, it shines. I use it for vpn, backup (there is a 4TB attached to it), ...and routing.

If you just want to just "route", the ac66u (single core processor) will make the job.
You can also consider the ac56u, ac68 brother with internal antennas if the house is not "that" large.

Since you don't seem to change your router frequently, I would go with either the 56 or the 68 (~100$ more).

Thanks for the reply

I forgot to mention my router is downstairs in my son's room. My daughters computer (xbox 360 and computer) is in the far upstairs corner of the router. Whole house including downstairs is roughly 2300 square feet. I don't have issue with signal. I "believe" it's just taxed now with all the devices. Especially if my son watches Netflix.

Although I got the green light I'd still not waste money if I don't need it. I don't VPN and we'll never use VoIP. I live in a rural area and am the only person on Channel 1 for at least 200 yards. I rode around checking :D

Last edited:
The AC66U is somehow the successor of N66U, more or less. It's the old platform, but that does not mean it does not work well. Now Asus is moving to newer platform and dual-core stuff. huotg01 recommendations are the most common you will get around.

The questions you must ask yourself is:

1. Do I need AC, or will I be needing it in the near future ?

You have a 100Mbps connection so even the worst N routers can cover your internet speed, wich are 150Mbps links. If you however share files in your lan, between your computers, do backups or some intensive HD media streaming from a central location like a NAS, then the more speed you have the faster and the shorter. You get the point.

Or if you want this router to last the next few years. You might not own any AC capable devices but in the future they will become more common.

2. Do I need USB 3.0 ?

If you don't plan on buying a NAS but you however want to share files from a central location as I said before, by connecting a HDD, then yes you need the speed it provides. USB 2.0 is too slow.

3. Do I need VPN, Cloud share, Download Manager and the other bunch of features a router can provide ?

4. Do I need a dual-core processor ?

Well, if all the previous qustions have been answered with yes then yes. If not, it may still provide improvements over single core units, but I don't know if it makes that much of a difference with simple tasks. Only people that have owned both types can make this statement. :)

So:

I own an RT-N66U with more or less the same amount of devices connected for more than 3 years. Never had a problem. I am however planning on updating to the AC standard because I do transfer files via LAN. I own a Synology NAS. I just recently upgraded my lan to gigabit and the wifi part is only 1/3 of that, so I want to give it a boost.

My first choise was the AC-66U because it has external antennas and because of the good experience I had with the N66U in terms of stability. Then I found out the RT-AC56U is of a newer generation, dual-core cpu, usb 3.0 for less price than the RT-AC66U, but it has internal antennas. Also initially, don't know if they were solved or if there is a newer hardware revision, the AC56U had problems with the 2.4Ghz band, big problems.

The AC68U is somehow the combination between AC66U and AC56U, best of both worlds, so it really comes down to budget. However the difference in price between the AC68U and AC56U is not well justified. Also I can't comment on "internal vs external" pros/cons, it's been a long time since I owned a router with internal antennas.

If you don't care about anything from the above, and want just a simple upgrade of your actual router I'd still recommend the N66U. The problem I think is the price, wich is still pretty high for such an old device, unless you can get a good deal.

One thing to keep in mind, quality of todays routers, no matter the brand, is awful. Don't expect the same quality as that Linksys used to have. Buy your replacement from a store so you can return it in case it does not work as advertised. Cheers. :D

PS: I am studying other brands also, but they seem to have very limited firmwares and feature set by being a bit cheaper. Also the support from 3rd party firmwares is also limited. Merlin and the big community around the Asus's firmware make this brand a first choise, not the quality of their products. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The questions you must ask yourself is:

1. Do I need AC, or will I be needing it in the near future ?

I want to say no, but I've learned to never say never

Or if you want this router to last the next few years. You might not own any AC capable devices but in the future they will become more common.

2. Do I need USB 3.0 ?

I do have a couple USB 3.0 external drives so this would be a plus

3. Do I need VPN, Cloud share, Download Manager and the other bunch of features a router can provide ?

Don't think that I would, but again, I would probably get into it if it were available

4. Do I need a dual-core processor ?

Do I need it? Probably not, but never hurts to have it ;)

You are right though. I've had that WRT54G for at least 8 years and it was given to me by another guy who used it before me. From everything I've read they just don't last. Although the wife gave the green light to buy what I don't want to explain a year from now we need another one. Granted that's the risk you take with all electronics.

I spent some time looking into Merlin. I wasn't familiar with it as I've never owned an ASUS router. I've been using DD-WRT for years so that's why I considered the Nighthawk. I do like that Merlin is more or less community driven based on need.

Basically it's the stock firmware with a few additions and bugfixes. Many improvements of Merlin are included in the Asus's oficial firmware :).

Based on your future proof aproach, I'd say decide between the AC68U and the Nighthawk. Avoid the AC66U, usb 2.0 is awfull. Also I can't recommend the AC56U, (wich is almost the same as AC68U, but cheaper) until someone can confirm, that as of today, the problems it had are solved.

I have no experience with Netgear but I have the feeling that they don't release updates that often and that you can't fiddle too much with advanced settings for wifi and in general, plus the features Asus provides. But then again, if you plan on installing DD-WRT then the firmare advanteages of one over the other I think are useless. Then you will have to compare in terms of power and range/speed, hardware features, and I can't help you further, as I don't own any of them :rolleyes:

To answer your original question ("Is the RT-AC68U or Netgear R7000 overkill for my situation?"), the answer to that question is "No." Neither is overkill.

Basically it's the stock firmware with a few additions and bugfixes. Many improvements of Merlin are included in the Asus's oficial firmware :).

Based on your future proof aproach, I'd say decide between the AC68U and the Nighthawk. Avoid the AC66U, usb 2.0 is awfull. Also I can't recommend the AC56U, (wich is almost the same as AC68U, but cheaper) until someone can confirm, that as of today, the problems it had are solved.

I have no experience with Netgear but I have the feeling that they don't release updates that often and that you can't fiddle too much with advanced settings for wifi and in general, plus the features Asus provides. But then again, if you plan on installing DD-WRT then the firmare advanteages of one over the other I think are useless. Then you will have to compare in terms of power and range/speed, hardware features, and I can't help you further, as I don't own any of them :rolleyes:

I figured this was ultimately going to be the case. There seems to be much more support for the ASUS brand. I've read good things about the Nighthawk, but the more technical questions have proven a little harder to find for DD-WRT.

To answer your original question ("Is the RT-AC68U or Netgear R7000 overkill for my situation?"), the answer to that question is "No." Neither is overkill.

:D

[...]
[...]:

For your information:
The USB 3.0 may generate a Radio Frequency Interference on 2.4 GHz Wireless Devices. There is a very good article here about that problem: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423604,00.asp
ans also (for those more technical): http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...al-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

Therefore that situation is not specific to ASUS.

That said, under that aspect, the ac68u is similar to the ac56u, and I think that, quite strange, the shielding is a little bit better on the ac56u port...

Again, this is unrelated to ASUS.

ASUS, for one, add a switch to minimize interference. I suppose that by minimizing inteferences you in fact make your usb3 port act as a usb2 port... Talking for myself, I don't care about it as I don't care to much about the 2.4 band.

Please also note that interference could appears anywhere along the "chain", on any device using usb3: port, wire, connectors

Last edited:
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC68U
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R7000

You can start comparing chipsets etc. , but that I think, really is "overkill" :D

And if DD-WRT does not work well you still have Tomato. Let us know what you decided and how it works.

I sure appreciate you both helping out. One thing that is new to me is the 5 GHz band. On my Xbox One the spec page lists it can utilize the 5 GHz band. from what I've read the range on that band isn't great for any router. I may be wrong though. Having a wired connection isn't viable where it's at now. I supposed I could invest in a Powerline Adapter, but I'm not sure the wife would go for the additional cost on top of a new router.

Talking for myself, I don't care about it as I don't care to much about the 2.4 band.

Are you strictly wired or only use the 5 GHz band?

Originally Posted by huotg01
Talking for myself, I don't care about it as I don't care to much about the 2.4 band.

The 2.4GHz is quite crowdy by a lot of devices, therefore less efficient (generally speaking) The 5 GHz is better. You should stick to it as much as possible. In my case, I'm using the 5 GHz band, ...and the 2.4GHz band.

The 2.4GHz is quite crowdy by a lot of devices, therefore less efficient (generally speaking) The 5 GHz is better. You should stick to it as much as possible. In my case, I'm using the 5 GHz band, ...and the 2.4GHz band.

One quick side question.

My router is right behind my son's TV and also right beside the cable modem and his Xbox 360. Should I move the router a few feet either way? Or would a few feet even matter?

One quick side question.

My router is right behind my son's TV and also right beside the cable modem and his Xbox 360. Should I move the router a few feet either way? Or would a few feet even matter?
I don't know for sure, but I don't think it will matter that much...Try it as it is, and change it if you want to experiment.

I sure appreciate you both helping out. One thing that is new to me is the 5 GHz band. On my Xbox One the spec page lists it can utilize the 5 GHz band. from what I've read the range on that band isn't great for any router. I may be wrong though. Having a wired connection isn't viable where it's at now. I supposed I could invest in a Powerline Adapter, but I'm not sure the wife would go for the additional cost on top of a new router.

The X-Box's connection to 5ghz will be 802.11n only. And you are right, 5ghz is really only good up to about 30-40 ft and then signal strength begins to degrade and deteriorate pretty rapidly. You're best bet is to connect it to one of the LAN ports. Powerline is fine too, but not as good as a straight shot connection from a LAN port.

A sort of interim solution is to get a media bridge device (there are several AC media bridge adapters on the market). Place the bridge close enough to the router to get a good solid 5ghz signal, and then from that device use a long enough CAT5e/6 cable to run it directly to the LAN port on the X-box. This gives you a little more flexibility. I'd also recommend using an AC media bridge over an 802.11n bridge in order to keep things as fast as possible on your 5ghz channels (remember, everything drops down to the lowest common 802.11 device connected to a particular channel, so when you start mixing 802.11ac clients with 802.11n's, that will affect the speed and width of channels you can use on the 5ghz band of the router. In other words, any ac clients you have will be slowed down to 802.11n speeds only (which means maximum 40mhz channel width as well). So if you want "pure 802.11ac" on your 5ghz, then you don't want to be using 802.11n devices on those frequencies.

Powerline is also a solution and it won't affect your 5ghz channel on the router at all. But as you note, it's costly and it only works if the wiring happens to all be on the same circuit (I've only had varying luck with Powerline stuff, and then only in some portions of my home...it all depends on how your wiring was installed).

Also, in reference to your question about placement of the router, get it out from behind your son's television. You don't want it located right next to any other source of electrical interference, or metal objects (or metal-clad walls). Aquariums are also bad, as are pipes...etc. You get the picture. Better to position your router higher up and in a centralized location in your home than to hide it behind a bunch of other electronic equipment. But YMMV, so do what you need to do.

The X-Box's connection to 5ghz will be 802.11n only. And you are right, 5ghz is really only good up to about 30-40 ft and then signal strength begins to degrade and deteriorate pretty rapidly. You're best bet is to connect it to one of the LAN ports. Powerline is fine too, but not as good as a straight shot connection from a LAN port.

A sort of interim solution is to get a media bridge device (there are several AC media bridge adapters on the market). Place the bridge close enough to the router to get a good solid 5ghz signal, and then from that device use a long enough CAT5e/6 cable to run it directly to the LAN port on the X-box. This gives you a little more flexibility. I'd also recommend using an AC media bridge over an 802.11n bridge in order to keep things as fast as possible on your 5ghz channels (remember, everything drops down to the lowest common 802.11 device connected to a particular channel, so when you start mixing 802.11ac clients with 802.11n's, that will affect the speed and width of channels you can use on the 5ghz band of the router. In other words, any ac clients you have will be slowed down to 802.11n speeds only (which means maximum 40mhz channel width as well). So if you want "pure 802.11ac" on your 5ghz, then you don't want to be using 802.11n devices on those frequencies.

Powerline is also a solution and it won't affect your 5ghz channel on the router at all. But as you note, it's costly and it only works if the wiring happens to all be on the same circuit (I've only had varying luck with Powerline stuff, and then only in some portions of my home...it all depends on how your wiring was installed).

Also, in reference to your question about placement of the router, get it out from behind your son's television. You don't want it located right next to any other source of electrical interference, or metal objects (or metal-clad walls). Aquariums are also bad, as are pipes...etc. You get the picture. Better to position your router higher up and in a centralized location in your home than to hide it behind a bunch of other electronic equipment. But YMMV, so do what you need to do.

I appreciate your detailed post. Running a wired connection just isn't in the plans for my Xbox One. I just took my son's Xbox 360 off wireless today. His is right beside the router so I have no idea why I didn't do it sooner. As far as the distance from the router to the Xbox One. I'd say it's 10 linear feet then right below the floor from there.

For your information:
The USB 3.0 may generate a Radio Frequency Interference on 2.4 GHz Wireless Devices. There is a very good article here about that problem: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423604,00.asp
ans also (for those more technical): http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...al-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

Therefore that situation is not specific to ASUS.

That said, under that aspect, the ac68u is similar to the ac56u, and I think that, quite strange, the shielding is a little bit better on the ac56u port...

Again, this is unrelated to ASUS.

ASUS, for one, add a switch to minimize interference. I suppose that by minimizing inteferences you in fact make your usb3 port act as a usb2 port... Talking for myself, I don't care about it as I don't care to much about the 2.4 band.

Please also note that interference could appears anywhere along the "chain", on any device using usb3: port, wire, connectors

Thank you for the article. That was a very interesting reading.

I've been looking to upgrade my RT-N16 to an RT-AC56U since my RT-N16 is having hardware issues. I guess it is getting old (5 years). I saw on Newegg's reviews that the 2.4Ghz on the AC56U is having trouble. Well, some users report issues, some don't. The same goes for forums all around the web.

In the SMB review of the AC56U, they didn't notice a poor performance in 2.4Ghz as far as I've read. Could it be because they were not using USB3.0 at the same time ? Could it be possible that the bad reviews/comments all around the web about 2.4Ghz is because people are using the USB3.0 port at the same time and this causes interferences ?

I currently use a USB thumbdrive on my RT-N16 (running Tomato) to keep logs, backup configs and keep the bandwith usage history. However, if I use the USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 on the AC56U, would there still be interferences to mess with the 2.4Ghz band ? If there still is, I probably can live without these logs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!