What's new

Itunes Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
Want to start using itunes server on my nas (as that is where all my music is stored)

Right now, All my music is in /mp3 on my synology nas. I have Itunes on my pc organize all my music.

However, I recently got a bose soundbar, and found that to play my music, it needs to be in the default /music folder on the nas to be seen and played. What is the easiest way to move my music from the /mp3 folder, to the music folder, and not mess anything up with itunes and my tags? Then how do I setup the itunes server to use?

Lots of problems there - easy answer...

Just use iTunes on a PC or a Mac, and be done with it.

I have a QNAP NAS but I would imagine Synology supports this as well. On my QNAP NAS, I can create a shared folder and give it an absolute path of another pre-existing folder. It's essentially an alias.

For example, I wanted to create a /Volumes mount point on my Mac for my VirtualBox folder where I store all of my VMs but I had my virtual machines stored in //homes/me/Virtualbox and I already had //homes/me mounted. Rather than creating a new shared folder in //Virtualbox and moving 200GBs worth of disk images there, I created a new shared folder called //Virtualbox and gave it a path of //homes/me/Virtualbox.

I even have the default VM directory in the VirtualBox app set to /Volumes/Virtualbox and it doesn't know the difference.

Last edited:
I tried out the music server on my Synology - it was easy and it worked with the Apple and Android thingies here. But we just don't use it now due to lifestyle.

Have a friend with a Bose speaker, and with AirPlay it worked just fine from iTunes or Airplay from his iPad - but media server on his router wasn't recognized - The Bose unit wouldn't recognize neither Twonky Media Server nor mt-daapd, and with iTunes, it wouldn't just find the library, both with legacy Library shares as well as HomeSharing (tried both).

it was basically just an Airplay client..

This Bose soundbar thing that the OP has may be similar...

Lots of problems there - easy answer...

Just use iTunes on a PC or a Mac, and be done with it.

If I just use itunes, my bose soundbar will not see the music as it only finds my Synology NAS

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Well, probably renaming the directory is the easiest move... if that can be done in the Synology GUI...

Sounds like you are in for a good run with Bose and Synology tech support folks...

Thanks. I got 2 responses, 1 from apple forum, other from synology forum:

Both basically say '" Very easy with ITunes, you can change the default folder for music in the preferences advanced tag. Move all your music to Synology Music folder (you can still use media server/DLNA) and then select that network folder in Itunes and it'll works just as if it was on your PC: user/admin/music/iTunes.

All my music's in that folder, feeding TVs/Ipads etc via DLNA, Itunes on PC for transfer etc. and my Sonos system.

p.s. you'll have to delete all the files in Itunes library AFTER you've moved them and BEFORE you point it at the new folder. ""

So it should be that difficult.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!