What's new

Keyboard: Membrane vs Mechanical

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

follower

Very Senior Member
What's your pick? And why?
I have Membrane, Mechanical, Optical, Hybrid. I prefer Membrane. Because it's quiet.;)

Last edited:
Keyboards are like gloves and shoes - got try them on to see if they fit.

It's really hard to buy online unless one can "showroom" them at the local big-box store...

At least, that's my opinion...

Keyboards are like gloves and shoes - got try them on to see if they fit.

It's really hard to buy online unless one can "showroom" them at the local big-box store...

At least, that's my opinion...
Mice are same. I totally agree with you.

My Corsair mechanical keyboard uses Cherry MX Red switches. These linear switches are as quiet as membrane, have a shorter activation depth so in theory it's faster for both typing and gaming.

I can say what keyboard I absolutely hated - Apple's Butterfly Keyboard they did on the older Macbook/Air/Pro's for a while...

not near enough key travel, first keyboard that actually hurt to type on - even the Spectrum ZX81 had better keys (and it didn't have actual keys)

My Corsair mechanical keyboard uses Cherry MX Red switches. These linear switches are as quiet as membrane, have a shorter activation depth so in theory it's faster for both typing and gaming.
I have some Corsair with Cherry MX Red too. You can try Kailh Box Red V2 switch with a hot-swappable keyboard(no corsair). It's better than Cherry MX Red. But membrane is still more quiet than any mechanical keyboards.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!