What's new

Keyword and/or website blocking for a specific range of IPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wollyka

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I used to have several routers (non-asus) and i used to load dd-wrt firmware on them. Since some time, i have a asus-ac68u and i am using asus-merlin (and now the fork).
However, one thing i am missing the most is the keyword and/or website blocking for a specific range of IPs. For example, in dd-wrt, i can specify that i want to deny you-tube access to any range of IPs that i can decide.
Or i can block an entire keyword for example youtube (if a user search for youtube on google, the page won't load)
Here, I cannot use the DNS filtering (openDNS,etc..) since in my country we are behind a double NAT. (The real IP is shared between several households it seems so i cannot configure anything related to OpenDNS or access my router from the internet).
Does anyone knows if it is possible to replicate this behavior using asus-merlin? Can a script be used?
PS: I know there is a dd-wrt version for the AC68u , but for some reason it is not stable enough for me.
Thanks in advance

Keyword url blocking was also available on tomato, but it's now practically useless - most searches can be entered using https - the content not visible on router.

You can use dns poisoning on the router, and use dns filter to force use of router dns - see the adblocking using host file examples. But use of PC host files/ direct IP entry or use of dnscrypt for example on client PC can also bypass anything on the router.

You can block ip ranges effectively using "ipset" - search the forums/wiki