What's new

Lacie 5Big Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Horatio

New Around Here
Help will be appreciated, online documentation is sparse and lacks the detail needed.

Considering purchasing a Lacie 5Big Pro and have a few questions.

SimplyRAID is appealing but there is little detail on how it actually works.

If you want to use double protection it appears you need a minimum of 4 disks. If 4 3TB disks were used does that mean you would get 6TB of available storage?

What form of RAID does SimplyRAID use?

If another 3TB disk were added to the fifth bay what would the increase in available storage be?

I know this doesn't answer your question. But be aware that LaCie NASes are being phased out due to Seagate's purchase of LaCie.

Going forward, LaCie will focus on attached storage. NASes will carry the Seagate brand.

Interesting, I sent an email to Lacie this week asking about availability and specifically asked about their NAS devices being phased out / replaced. They did not mention that, which is very very poor.

I did notice that Seagate's latest NAS models have the same operating system and that their support documentation is almost identical.

Hi,
Wasn't there a guy some time ago giving high praises about LaCie box buying one himself?. I don't think I ever read his follow up post. If I have a car trouble, I will
go to a place fixing cars, not motor cycles.....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!