What's new

LAN IPv6 connections suddenly drop from Wi-Fi devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RubenPortier

Occasional Visitor
I've been using two AC-66U routers in Access Point (AP) mode, both of which are connected via UTP cable to a simple 1 Gbit switch connected to my pfSense box. I have IPv6 enabled on the pfSense router, and it's distributing IPv6 address to all my LAN devices using Stateless Autoconf. All my clients are able to obtain an IPv6 address, which is working fine.

My server (build up from older computer components) is running Ubuntu 16.10 which is used for virtualisation. It's running multiple guests (virtual machines) which all have a static IPv6 as a static IPv4 address. The problem I've been having is that whenever I have a wireless device trying to make a connection (ping, ssh etc.) to one of those guests or even the host (the server itself) it suddenly fails. All servers (host and guests) are having this issue on different timings. It can happen right after the host is booted, but mostly is about 1 - 10 mins. (can take longer). So I can be able to ping guest1, but guest2 would be unavailable. The servers itself are still able to make connections to any IP address except the wireless devices in the house (LAN). I can also still reach the servers from outside the LAN (remote location) and from any wired LAN connection. One very odd thing that I found is whenever I ping one of the servers over it's local IPv4 address, the IPv6 connection suddenly starts working again, for that particular server.

I went into deeper research and found out that the server is still getting a neighbour solicitation from the wireless device. It going for the device, through the wireless router (AP) until it reaches the server. The server is responding with a neighbour advertisement, but this advertisement cannot be found on the AP. Note I'm using tcpdump icmp6 on all devices to see this traffic. I've monitored all interfaces on the AP but none of them seem to get the advertisement de server is sending. This leads me to believe this is an issue with the firmware on the AC-66U routers, as both of them have this issue. I've tried a different AP (an old Apple AirPort Express), which kept on working fine without any issues. I've reached out to the Merlin-WRT forums, but none seems to reply on my topic. I've also tried many different forums but also no responses or nothing helpful.

I do not want to just throw away these expensive routers, as they both are capable of delivering a very good and stable Wi-Fi connection. But I hate having to deal with this issue every time I want to connection to one of the servers using my Macbook Pro, which is connection using Wi-Fi most of its time. I don't mind running some extra tests if you'd like me to. Also, don't mind asking for more information. I've been searching the web all over for this, but I couldn't find anything similar. It might be related to MLD snooping of some sort, which is IGMP snooping for IPv6 if I'm not wrong. Also note that the issue is not immediately active, the servers can be pingable over IPv6 locally for a short while, and then all of the sudden some of them stop working over Wi-Fi.

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but there seems no reaction and I really want this issue resolved. It's just so annoying that I cannot reach my servers over IPv6 on LAN using WiFi.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but there seems no reaction and I really want this issue resolved. It's just so annoying that I cannot reach my servers over IPv6 on LAN using WiFi.

Thanks in advance!
Had the same problem, returned the router. There seems to be a flaw in their firmware. Good Luck

Wow thanks! Do you have any more information on this? What router did you buy to replace it with?
No I gave up and returned it and re-installed my old router. It's a dlink dir-890l works very well and no IPv6 issues. There is a newer model available 895l. The Netgear Nighthawk is supposed to be pretty good also.

No I gave up and returned it and re-installed my old router. It's a dlink dir-890l works very well and no IPv6 issues. There is a newer model available 895l. The Netgear Nighthawk is supposed to be pretty good also.
Ok, thank you for the information! It's a bit of a relief that I'm not the only one with the problem. I still hope that Asus or maybe Merlin can fix this as I own two of these routers as AP's and I don't like to just throw them away.

Ok, thank you for the information! It's a bit of a relief that I'm not the only one with the problem. I still hope that Asus or maybe Merlin can fix this as I own two of these routers as AP's and I don't like to just throw them away.
Yep as I posted in another thread this problem could be widespread and most people don't even know they are affected or even what IPV6 is for that matter.

Yep as I posted in another thread this problem could be widespread and most people don't even know they are affected or even what IPV6 is for that matter.

I've contacted RMerlin on this issue and I hope he can help us out here and maybe even fix this issue in his firmware. If that's possible he could then pass that fix through to Asus which should then be able to include that fix in their own firmware. I just hope it will get fixed eventually, as it's so annoying.

One particular strange thing though, I don't know about you, but some computers keep working. I've never had that my wireless connected Macbook Pro could not ping my cable connected Windows 10 computer on it's IPv6 address, not sure why though. Same thing with my pFsense router, I can still ping that one without any problems on it's IPv6 address. Could this be an issue with how Ubuntu is sending out Neighbour Advertisements?

I've contacted RMerlin on this issue and I hope he can help us out here and maybe even fix this issue in his firmware. If that's possible he could then pass that fix through to Asus which should then be able to include that fix in their own firmware. I just hope it will get fixed eventually, as it's so annoying.

One particular strange thing though, I don't know about you, but some computers keep working. I've never had that my wireless connected Macbook Pro could not ping my cable connected Windows 10 computer on it's IPv6 address, not sure why though. Same thing with my pFsense router, I can still ping that one without any problems on it's IPv6 address. Could this be an issue with how Ubuntu is sending out Neighbour Advertisements?
Hard to say. IPv4 works fine for me but no IPv6 address assigned by isp so none of the connections could talk IPv6. I even tried unplugging all devices from the router rebooted reloaded firmware and no luck. When I plugged the dlink back in there are no issues whatsoever so that sort of tells me it's a firmware issue with how Asus negotiates an IPv6 from the isp.

Hard to say. IPv4 works fine for me but no IPv6 address assigned by isp so none of the connections could talk IPv6. I even tried unplugging all devices from the router rebooted reloaded firmware and no luck. When I plugged the dlink back in there are no issues whatsoever so that sort of tells me it's a firmware issue with how Asus negotiates an IPv6 from the isp.

Oh, my issue isn't exactly that I don't get an IPv6 subnet from my ISP, that is just working fine. I'm using a PFsense router now and only use the AC66U's as AP's. But they both were working before on getting IPv6 on all LAN devices. My exact problem is that Wi-Fi connected devices that are using the Wi-Fi from one of the two AC66U's I own will suddenly start having problems connecting to my server which is on the same LAN using its IPv6 address. IPv4 works fine though, so no problems there. The weird thing is that it works at first (reboot of the AP's), but then suddenly stops working, for some of the virtual machines on that server or the host itself, and also different timings for all Wi-Fi connected devices. My Macbook could not be able to ping one server for example, but my phone still would. Another very strange thing is whenever I ping the server on it's IPv4 adres, IPv6 starts working again.

I think you're dealing with another issue then mine...

I currently have workaround by setting my pFsense router to route the DNS names of my local servers to use the local IPv4 address of the particular servers on my routers' LAN interface. This allows me to keep using my servers without any broken connections. The IPv6 however is still suffering from this issue on LAN, I just use my router to bypass the IPv6 address gotten from the DNS and overriding it with the local IPv4 addresses.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!