What's new

'Latest' Asus stock firmware version AX86U??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Apprentice

Occasional Visitor
Just bought an AX86U to use as a Mesh node, so was intending to leave it running stock.

Went to upgrade firmware via Merlin running on my 88U, and noticed the 'latest' version reported there was not the same one as reported on the Asus site (a later number 3.0.0.4.388_24231 vs 3.0.0.4.388_24198 in Merlin).

Any advice on which one I should use, and if the one reported by Merlin where I can download it from?

Many thanks!

Just bought an AX86U to use as a Mesh node, so was intending to leave it running stock.

Went to upgrade firmware via Merlin running on my 88U, and noticed the 'latest' version reported there was not the same one as reported on the Asus site (a later number 3.0.0.4.388_24231 vs 3.0.0.4.388_24198 in Merlin).

Any advice on which one I should use, and if the one reported by Merlin where I can download it from?

Many thanks!

Use the current firmware release.

You can download ASUSWRT firmware from the ASUS product Support website.

You can download ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware from the ASUSWRT-Merlin support website.

OE

Are the actual models you have the RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U, and RT-AX56U?

Consider changing your signature to show actual model numbers instead.

I would first/only consider using RMerlin firmware if available for the model(s) I have. (Almost) regardless of the firmware being newer on stock Asus.

Any advice on which one I should use,
Don't compare version numbers between Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. Use whichever has the features you need. Otherwise, you will be constantly changing platform as we aren't linked, and one will constantly lealfrog the other.

Don't compare version numbers between Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. Use whichever has the features you need. Otherwise, you will be constantly changing platform as we aren't linked, and one will constantly lealfrog the other.

Thanks. My intention was to leave the AI node running stock Asuswrt, I was just surprised to see when I checked for updates in the mesh master or whatever the term is, it reported a different version as being the latest compared to the Asus site. At least as I understood it, anyway!

Many thanks!
FWIW you can run Merlin or Asus firmware on your AX86U node. I tested the Merlin 388.5 beta for a few days on my AX86U Pro and ran my AX86U AiMesh node with Asus then Merlin firmware. I did not find any advantage to either on the node. In fact for my use, I did not find an advantage to Merlin on the AX86U Pro so tool my system back to Asus firmware.

FWIW you can run Merlin or Asus firmware on your AX86U node. I tested the Merlin 388.5 beta for a few days on my AX86U Pro and ran my AX86U AiMesh node with Asus then Merlin firmware. I did not find any advantage to either on the node. In fact for my use, I did not find an advantage to Merlin on the AX86U Pro so tool my system back to Asus firmware.
I thought I understood from the documentation somewhere, that if you ran stock Asuswrt firmware on nodes, you could automatically update via the AsusMerlin gui (Admin). Seem to have had only somewhat patchy success with that tho!

Are the actual models you have the RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U, and RT-AX56U?

Yep, but I am currently experimenting with retiring the AX56U, hoping the AX86U gives me improved coverage in the couple of deadspots I had round the house befpre. So far looks promissing, but kids will no doubt be stress testing vigorously later tonight, and complaining bitterly in the morning if any problems emerge :-o

I thought I understood from the documentation somewhere, that if you ran stock Asuswrt firmware on nodes, you could automatically update via the AsusMerlin gui (Admin). Seem to have had only somewhat patchy success with that tho!
The only way to do Auto Firmware Upgrades is to run the Asus firmware on the router that supports Auto Firmware Upgrade. And that has to be enabled. However, there have been reports of Asus firmware getting a pushed upgrade from Asus even with the Auto Firmware Upgrade disabled.

Running Merlin on the router will require you to manually upgrade the router and nodes regardless of the firmware on the nodes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!