What's new

Linkstation XHL or ReadyNAS Duo?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

inkytires

Occasional Visitor
Which is the better choice:

A. Two identical Buffalo Linkstation XHLs - one of them as a media server, the other for backing up the media server.

B. One Netgear ReadyNAS Duo with a single drive used as a media server. Plus, an additional large capacity hard drive in an HTPC for backing up the media server.

So in option B, I would only have to buy one NAS and just add an internal HD to an existing networked computer to use for backing up the ReadyNAS.

If you are going to run a PC as a backup machine, you can use any NAS. Just run the backup program on the PC, not the NAS.

Why when he OP can buy a Readynas Duo and connect a backup drive to a Duo USB port. Duo Frontview Backups will run faster and won't create unnecessary LAN traffic.

I know you're a die-hard ReadyNAS guy, Claykin. :)

Just providing options. He can also run an attached backup from a LinkStation or most any NAS (except Thecus).

Die-hard may be overkill, but I'll let you slide since I like SNB so much! I have my issues with the Readynas OS (and their somewhat idiotic pricing model). I've yet to find a better and more reliable mousetrap, but I'll keep looking...

I know you're a die-hard ReadyNAS guy, Claykin. :)

Just providing options. He can also run an attached backup from a LinkStation or most any NAS (except Thecus).

If you are going to run a PC as a backup machine, you can use any NAS. Just run the backup program on the PC, not the NAS.

Thanks for taking the time to help me on this. BTW, SmallNetBuilder is great and the reviews are amazingly thorough. I've read both Linkstation and ReadyNAS reviews several times now.

So to backup a Linkstation to a PC, I'd just install a run-of-the-mill backup application on that machine? But a Ready NAS Duo would use its internal application to backup to the PC?

If I (also) used the Linkstation for backing up my PCs, would Memeo Backup run on the Linkstation or the PC. Same question for the ReadyNAS, do you install its backup application on the machines you want to backup, or does it run on the NAS?

Thanks for taking the time to help me on this. BTW, SmallNetBuilder is great and the reviews are amazingly thorough. I've read both Linkstation and ReadyNAS reviews several times now.
Glad you enjoy the site. Tell your friends about us.

So to backup a Linkstation to a PC, I'd just install a run-of-the-mill backup application on that machine? But a Ready NAS Duo would use its internal application to backup to the PC?
Yep. The catch is that the backup application has to be able to copy from a networked share or mapped drive. If you used a Duo, its built-in backup function can copy to and from any networked share. So no backup app is needed running on the Windows machine.

If I (also) used the Linkstation for backing up my PCs, would Memeo Backup run on the Linkstation or the PC. Same question for the ReadyNAS, do you install its backup application on the machines you want to backup, or does it run on the NAS?
Memeo is a Windows client backup program and would be run on the machines that you want to backup to the LinkStation. Note that only one license comes with the LinkStation (kinda stingy on Buffalo's part).
You don't need to install anything on client machines to backup using the Duo's utility. You just set up backup jobs on the Duo.

Yep. The catch is that the backup application has to be able to copy from a networked share or mapped drive. If you used a Duo, its built-in backup function can copy to and from any networked share. So no backup app is needed running on the Windows machine.

I did not realize this until last week on my hunt for a new nas. They (qnap, synology) seem only able to back-up a source to the nas if additional software (rsync) is running on that source.

Is there any other 1 or 2-bay nas that has this feature except the Readynas duo ?

Bye,

Henk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!