What's new

Linksys Firmware Update Process Change

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chadster766

Very Senior Member
Linksys is starting to rollout firmware updates to router's that have the "Check for Firmware Update" or "Auto Firmware Update" features in a batch process.

This is a good policy because any major unexpected issues with a firmware can be stopped before too many customer are effected.

The only drawback is that it will take an undetermined amount of time before a good firmware update is available for all users.

Once enough customers successfully have a firmware update then Linksys will publish the firmware update on the website.

Automatic updating is more trouble than it's worth, even for complete novices. They should just scrap it and do like some other vendors (e.g. QNAP) - alert the user that a new update is available upon login but make the user manually intervene in order to actually do the update. If everything is working, there's really no need to update anyway. People that want to update are either 1) having issues or 2) looking for a new feature.

Login? Most users don't often login to their WiFi routers.
There'd need to be a blinky LED - and that probably wouldn't do either!

My WRT1900acV1 is remote, so I don't do auto... I need to plan it with folks on site, and do it late in the evening when the update is available..

wrt1900acv1_updates.png

Login? Most users don't often login to their WiFi routers.
There'd need to be a blinky LED - and that probably wouldn't do either!

That's my point. The only people that generally login are doing so for a reason. Those are the kind of people that need notified. I'd venture to guess 9 times out of 10 the only time the average user logs in is when something is wrong, and "something wrong" often equal "firmware upgrade time" especially considering how tech support from these companies has evolved.

If stuff isn't broken they're not logging in. And if stuff isn't broken, they don't need a firmware update either.

Automatic updating is more trouble than it's worth, even for complete novices. They should just scrap it and do like some other vendors (e.g. QNAP) - alert the user that a new update is available upon login but make the user manually intervene in order to actually do the update. If everything is working, there's really no need to update anyway. People that want to update are either 1) having issues or 2) looking for a new feature.

I strongly dislike any automated update as well. First, some people prefer to manually update at a time where they know that if something goes wrong, they 1) have a backup of the older firmware to flash, 2) they don't have the whole family screaming at them while they try to bring things back online, 3) they can wait a few days to see by themselves if there are any reports of new issues.

A failed router update could leave you in serious trouble if you don't have a copy of an older firmware to flash back. And a failed update isn't just a buggy firmware, it can occur due to a power failure in the middle of the upgrade, for instance.

I like Cisco's approach. I have them send me an email whenever there's a new firmware available for my ATA. I can then decide if and when I update it.