What's new

Linksys - WRT or not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Believe it or not, this is how things work, it's been an awesome 20 years in the business.. players change, but the story generally plays out the same...

Yeah, and I think this one was complicated by the Belkin acquisition as well.

I used DD-WRT long ago when consumer WiFi routers were rather crude.
Haven't needed to do so in a long time.

I don't need to use DD-WRT, the stock firmware was functional and stable. It just wasn't to my liking.

DD-WRT has come a long way towards a good middle ground. It's not nearly as intimidating as it used to be.

I tried DD-WRT on my 1900AC and just didn't like it so I went back to stock. Nothing wrong with DD-WRT just don't like the 20 year old GUI.

I don't need to use DD-WRT, the stock firmware was functional and stable. It just wasn't to my liking.

There were a few things that were, erm, lacking...

Proper Guest Network support
IPv6 tuning
More control over various wireless items
a proper telnet/ssh shell

DD-WRT has come a long way towards a good middle ground. It's not nearly as intimidating as it used to be.

I think the only downside is that the *WRT community is still treating the mamba, cobra, shelby, caiman devices as a bit experimental and out of the mainline...

I remember way back that DD-WRT was one of the few that recorded the most recent RSSI of each client. I wish all routers would do so.

I remember way back that DD-WRT was one of the few that recorded the most recent RSSI of each client. I wish all routers would do so.

It reports quite a bit of info on wireless clients - I have no idea how accurate they really are but for each client it shows:
  • MAC Address
  • Interface (very handy for determining which band a device is using or if they're on private or guest)
  • Uptime
  • TX Rate
  • RX Rate
  • Wireless Mode (HT20/HT40/VHT80)
  • Signal/RSSI
  • Noise
  • SNR

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!