What's new

Linksys WRT1200AC and EA8500 @ CES 2015

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AC1200, AC1750, AC1900, AC2300, AC2400, AC2600, AC3200... I quite honestly pity the regular average customer who has absolutely zero way of determining what router he needs for his particular uses, or what performance to expect from any of these.

This marketing non-sense from all manufacturers will need to stop at some point. Buying a router these days is impossible without having someone knowledgeable to assist you. An AC3200 is actually slower than an AC2400 (or at least it will be if someday manufacturers actually release compatible clients, so for now, an AC3200 is the exact same speed as an AC2400). And unlike with, say, a computer, you can't even base your performance expectations on the price alone. A WRT1900AC that costs more than an RT-AC66 or an R7000 is pretty much the exact same wifi speed (give or take 2%).

The wireless market was already a huge mess with all its competing standards (ask the average Best Buy shopper if he knows the difference between 802.11b and 802.11g), but this current trend of branding by adding a bunch of totally unrelated numbers together to come up with those ACxxxx classes? It's really BAD.

I don't know what happened when 802.11ac was introduced, but it was the key moment where all Hell broke loose. Personally, I'd be tempted to blame the Wifi Alliance for providing specs for "up to xxx Mbps", and then having manufacturers decide how to shape the market, spending the next 4 years releasing gradual increments slowly inching toward that mythical "xxx" that was pointed at in the final specifications.

Even the weak attempt at simplifying things out by coining the term "Wave 2" failed, as this so-called Wave 2 has a whole bunch of different devices, each with their own partial support of the proposed feature set (MU-MIMO anyone?).

(Sorry, didn't expect this to turn into such a long rant, but I had to let it off my chest :) )

11AC seems to have given vendors license to triple the price of WiFi consumer routers. Versus the tiny profits they must have been getting when selling 11n at $50.

Maybe the marketing psychology is working (costs a lot more now, must be better).

The optimistic view is that 11AC prices are simply the early-adopter prices and one should just wait. And wait for popular 11AC clients and handhelds.

Hi,
Not only in WiFi consumer market, we are now living in an anything goes WASTEFUL
throw away society.

11AC seems to have given vendors license to triple the price of WiFi consumer routers. Versus the tiny profits they must have been getting when selling 11n at $50.

Maybe the marketing psychology is working (costs a lot more now, must be better).

The optimistic view is that 11AC prices are simply the early-adopter prices and one should just wait. And wait for popular 11AC clients and handhelds.

If you work out various inflation adjusted prices from 11b through current 11ac gear, basically all wireless routers when brand new for the "top of the line" stuff has been in the $200-250 price range, so the current crop of absolutely "absurdly priced" 11ac routers is actually only price slightly ahead of "top of the line" new tech wirouters.

Its just that "older" stuff gets depressed in price. Look at the N66u, IIRC when it was first new it was on the market for ~$200-250 and if you also think about it, whether inflating the price or not, the topest end of the line routers now have more radios/radio chains as well as generally other "more components" going on inside of them, which increases the BOM by comparison for the manufacturers, so to keep margins, the price has to go up.

Oh, sure, I think it is absurd to pay more than around $100-150 for a wifi router or access point, short of some very specific and "niche" features, like weather proof casing, POE ability, zero hand-off ability, etc. That said, ALL tech manufacturers have both planned obselesence, as well as higher margins on brand new stuff.

It is part of the reason why my suggestion is, that if you don't need all of the fancy features and don't have a very robust internet connection and/or do a LOT of WLAN transfer, the TP-Link WDR3600 really is an awesome router at an unbeatable price (~$50) and until you start talking >100Mbps speed requirements (it can do ~200Mbps real transfer speeds, but of course you need to be close to the router), it is going to be more than enough for your needs. Even if you get in to >100Mbps requirements with a fast internet connection or demanding WLAN transfers, then maybe looking at the C7/8 Archer, or possibly looking at getting a T-Mobile AC66u and flashing it with stock firmware is the best way to go.

Obviously some people keep their router for WAY past when they should (evidenced by all of the people with ancient 11g Linksys routers asking why they only get 20Mbps on their 30-100Mbps internet connection)...but most people, even "throw backs" technologically really only keep their router for 3-5 years, so by the time their decent, but not bleeding edge router starts failing to keep up with their improving internet connection or needs, they have or already will be moving on to something new. No need to pay $300 for something that would probably still be replaced in 3-5 years when something that is $100 or less (maybe a LOT less) will still meet all of their needs, and then some, for those 3-5 years.

Hi,
Not only in WiFi consumer market, we are now living in an anything goes WASTEFUL
throw away society.

Printers. <cough>

29$ for a new printer, 49$ for an ink cartridge for that printer. Good job, Futureshop (and HP).

I agree with rMerlins comments - it is becoming a major challenge for consumers.

Adding to that is the dismal state of WiFi client adapters - I picked up a new Dell Desktop, not low-end mind you - and the included WiFi adapter - 802.11n Single Stream (the infamous Dell 1705 card). Same thing goes with most consumer grade laptops... to get a decent adapter bundled in, either it's configure to order, or go for the enterprise level machines.

sfx

11n was the same way.

The Netgear WNDR3700 was $175 when it was first released, just like the R7000.

Printers. <cough>

29$ for a new printer, 49$ for an ink cartridge for that printer. Good job, Futureshop (and HP).

I saw a 65" LED TV yesterday for $798. When the average repair cost is $350 and the time between failures is just over 2 years, what does that tell you?

11n was the same way.

The Netgear WNDR3700 was $175 when it was first released, just like the R7000.

Long tail stuff at the end of 11b and 11g, where we saw all kind of variants... and most of them with major interop issues... SuperG, AfterBurner, TrueMIMO, SRX, etc...

11n wasn't so bad actually - most of the "wave 2" items were earnest improvements in that generation - I share the collective concern about what's happening right now in the 11ac world..

sfx

Both Linksys routers will launch by the end of April.

I look forward to what happens with the WRT1200ac from Linksys - compared to what happened with the WRT1900ac. From what I've seen so far, the 1200ac is much more approachable perhaps from the OpenWRT/DD-WRT community due to the differences in the platform... If it has an open bootloader, GPL compatible drivers for WiFi, and enough Flash and RAM - this really could be a very good thing for our community.

(WRT1900ac was eventually sunk in the FOSS community due to Marvell's understandable reluctance to release GPL compatible drivers for the wifi chipsets) - the WRT1900ac is still a very good AC1900 class router, IMHO... just not very *WRT friendly for 3rd party development.

I saw a 65" LED TV yesterday for $798. When the average repair cost is $350 and the time between failures is just over 2 years, what does that tell you?

these days you can go to CostCo and buy the BigScreen TwinPak - 2x no-name 65" 3D/4K screens for $1200...

And when they fail, turn them over to recycle... and they get turned into Routers which fail again, and such is the circle of digital life... sooner or later, they turn into dual-SIM 25 dollar Android smartphones in the 3rd world...

oh well...

23 April 2015 the WRT1200AC will launch. I can't wait for Tim's review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23 April 2015 the WRT1200AC will launch. I can't wait for Tim's review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi,
Lots of people just can't wait to get a new, latest anything spending hard earned $$$. So let's say what do they gain updating from 1900AC router to 2400AC one? Is it detrimental on what they are doing with it? Or just bragging right?
Is the money spent justified? We have few iPads old and new in the family. I don't see big difference in actual daily use between iPAD 3 and iPAD Air 2. I am the one who still use iPAD 3, LOL!

The best transfer rate I got at ac1200 was 36Mbytes/sec. That was with an amped aca 1 and a cisco meraki MR34 AP.

Interesting why they put a 1.3GHz processor in the WRT1200AC and a 1.2GHz processor in WRT1900AC.

Interesting why they put a 1.3GHz processor in the WRT1200AC and a 1.2GHz processor in WRT1900AC.

Depends on the manufacturer of the SoC probably, maybe they switched from Marvel to a new platform whose 802.11ac platform uses a 1.3 GHz CPU. Also, this router is newer by a year, so probably the SoC is newer as well.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!