What's new

.local is now going out to Spectrum Using a RV320 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I wonder if somebody could save me time figuring this out. I have Cisco Findit software which tracks Cisco network devices. When I click on a device it now goes out to Spectrum and does not find my switch. It seems to be using the switch's hostname.local. I don't run a local DNS any more but I would like to keep .local in my network. I am using a Cisco RV320 router.

This all worked in the past. I don't know when it stopped.

.local is problematic. Bonjour craps all over it and can cause these sorts of name resolution issues. Can you access your switch via DNS from other systems on the network?

No I can not access by host name from any system. I setup in my router as a static entry the switch host name and IP. It still does not work. I am guessing my router is not in the DNS line forwarding some how. I need to check my layer 3 switch for DNS stuff.

PS
I just set my DNS settings on my work station to my router for DNS. It still does not work and access the switch by name.

Last edited:
I figured out my mistake. I must of factory reset my RV320 router. It installs a default domain. All I had to do is blank out the domain field. Now .local works fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!