What's new

pros and cons for the two common DNS setups for a local adblocker - adguard home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't have any of the setups running at the moment (my Asus router is for experiments only), but from memory what was coming from the router in both cases was only WAN monitoring queries to Microsoft server and occasionally TrendMicro. Everything else was correctly recognized by client IP and I had hostnames set for easier client identification. I had my separate device configuration posted somewhere in AGH related threads. Not sure if there is a difference in AGH run in a container or whatever it uses there on your NAS. May have some specifics.

but with DNS Director On (and yes, No redirection on the separate device), it will still show the most active client as the Router itself.
That means those requests were sent to the router and would have bypassed your AGH setup without the DNS Director enabled. DNS Director redirected it to the AGH from the router so it looks like the request came from the router. Are you sure you are not advertising the router IP along with the SGH IP in the DHCP? If you have IPv6 enabled you have to set a DNS for that also or the router will advert itself!

Also some devices will ignore the DHCP if stuff is getting blocked and just try using some hard coded DNS, which is where the director comes in.

(1) I am setting this via a script to force it as an IPV4 mapping, but it can be set directly here
192.168.1.8 is the AGH server.
1704329513559.png

1704329571661.png

Last edited:
I don't have any of the setups running at the moment (my Asus router is for experiments only), but from memory what was coming from the router in both cases was only WAN monitoring queries to Microsoft server and occasionally TrendMicro. Everything else was correctly recognized by client IP and I had hostnames set for easier client identification. I had my separate device configuration posted somewhere in AGH related threads. Not sure if there is a difference in AGH run in a container or whatever it uses there on your NAS. May have some specifics.
Yeah, it's AGH running on Portainer on Synology NAS. Perhaps I need to adjust the set-up. Any tips on where I can find the right information? I followed all the steps here (and doesn't mention anything about DNS Director etc.): https://mariushosting.com/synology-install-adguard-with-portainer/

That means those requests were sent to the router and would have bypassed your AGH setup without the DNS Director enabled. DNS Director redirected it to the AGH from the router so it looks like the request came from the router. Are you sure you are not advertising the router IP along with the SGH IP in the DHCP? If you have IPv6 enabled you have to set a DNS for that also or the router will advert itself!

(1) I am setting this via a script to force it as an IPV4 mapping, but it can be set directly here
View attachment 55283

View attachment 55284
Thank you for the clarification! That makes sense actually - I was thinking I saw more ads "leaking" through on some of my devices... I have now re-enables DNS Director...

No, I don't have IPv6 enabled...

Also some devices will ignore the DHCP if stuff is getting blocked and just try using some hard coded DNS, which is where the director comes in.

View attachment 55283

View attachment 55284
And Yes, I'm positive I'm not advertising:
1704329745252.png

So what's the way I can show the "offending" devices that are trying to bypass my AGH device and sending DNS requests straight to the router?!

The queries may give you clues. Reboot the suspected devices and they will get your 192.168.75.100 as DNS from DHCP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!