What's new

Looking for a node to my RT-AC5300 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

some.jimmy

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I've decided to post my request looking for a help from you, the great and wise nation of SNB. :)
I currently have Asus RT-AC5300 router wired to my cable modem. Looking for a sufficient node to abovementioned model to have the best iMesh I can have from my 500 Mb/s connection. Unfortunately I cannot make a wired blackhaul between two of the routers, just wireless. iMesh would be placed on one level flat, within 30-40 meters between both routers, withwalls and another wifi nets existing around the apartment.
Going trough SNB forums and other links I think about RT-AX55, RT-AX56U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U, RT-AX68U and RT-AX86U (less likely due to high pricing).
I thought of having RT-AC530 as a primary router and one of above as a node.
What would you recommend or suggest? I would appreciate any answer.
Best,
S.J

Well, the logical choice would be another AC5300 as tri-band would give you the ability to mesh with one of the 5 GHz bands while the other broadcasts to clients. If money is a concern you could go to an AC66U_B1 or AC68U as a node and have a quality signal but not the bandwidth. AC86U is a great router for signal strength and quality. I would not use an AX router as a node to the AC5300 especially the "lower" priced entry routers.
If you have no real reason to go to AX stick with a good AC router.
Oh, I really like my AX86U but for the same money you can get another AC5300...

For that exact reason (for the same money) I would not get such an old model today. :)

Hi,
thank you bbunge and L&LD for replies.
@bbunge - In that case RT-AC86U and RT-AC68U are an options.

@L&LD - would you go rather for AX's router, as a node, or as a primary router and RT-AC5300 as a node?

Would it be any difference (bandwidith saved) to have RT-AC5300 as a node to AX's primary router?

Best,
S.J

Last edited:
Ok. I went through different topics and forums here on SNB and found many tips and super usefull suggestions. many of them yours L&LD.
I understand that mixing AC with AX is not a good idea. If I want to stick with my RT-AC5300 router, it is better to look for some good AC router,.
Or... .
I am wondering, if I really need the iMesh system in my apartment. The wifi shall cover (with as close to 500 mb/s bandiwidith as possible) around 1200 sgft area, one floor only, with router polace more-less in the middle, with usual obstacles, like bricked walls and 5-10 different neighbour's wifis. The farthest item on my local wifi network is having -58dBm or -65dBm on 5GHz. However the speed differ for example from time of the day (interference of other wifis).
Shall I think about a nod - AC86U or AC66U_B1, or AC68U? Or I can do some changes in AC5300 configuration? I use Merlin, but the most recent at the moment.
S.J

With only 1200 SqFt and many APs around you, an AiMesh system (unless you can use wired backhaul) is not the best way forward.

You may (won't have to) 'mix' AX with AC to get the results you want in your apartment.

An RT-AC86U router is significantly better than the router you currently have. An RT-AX88U or an RT-AX86U is even better for the highest throughput possible in your environment.

I always suggest you fully re-evaluate your current router and the settings used before making a purchase decision. The newest hardware is undeniable better, but many times, a few key changes to your current network may be enough to put off a purchase for many months too.

If you want to see what your current network (hardware/setup) is really capable of, perform the following suggestions to fully reset the hardware and client devices while on the most current firmware possible.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Before doing the above though, you haven't mentioned what speeds you're getting or what speeds you're expecting with specific client devices. All the above may be moot if you are already at the limits of your hardware. :)

Hi,
thank you L&LD for reply and `extremely useful guidance.

Regarding the speeds, I made some test with different client devices - two laptops and my phone. The results are from dslreports.com. On laptops the DL was between 280 mb/s to 360 mb/s in two furthest from the router places in the apartment. My phone has reached 200 mb/s (Huawei P30 lite), but I think it is the maxium that I can get on this model. As for laptops (Lenovo T460s and T490) I had around 500 mb/s in the past (my maxium bandwidith speed possible). UL speeds were from 25 mb/s to 30 mb/s (30 mb/s is my maximum possible)
I found something surprising, that the TinyWall reduced DL and UL speed a little. Not much, but when switched off, the results were better. :p Next step, after "Fully Reset Router and Network" and "Best Practice setup" will be getting to know Skynet better. For the moment I am a bit affraid to use this firewall, because my family would harm me, if I disable them any wifi access. :eek::p

May I additioanly to ask you about the "Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021". Following your recomendations above I am going to do fully reset of my router and network followed by "Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021" steps. But... the latter guide includes two suggested performances: "Update/reset Mini Guide" and "Reset Mini guide + Control Channel Setup Details". Shall I do both of them after doing "Fully Reset Router and Network"?

Best and thank you again!
S.J

Skynet is a must-have add-on for RMerlin powered Asus routers. If you have any issues, they will be quickly addressed here. There are no Wi-Fi-related issues with Skynet at all.

I suggest reading and re-reading the 2021 Best Practice guide before you attempt it. It is as straightforward as I can make it for now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!