What's new

Looking for best router that can handle multiple clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaimi

New Around Here
I have an Asus RT-AC66U router. I have a variety of clients spread across ethernet, wireless 2.4ghz and wireless 5ghz.

When there is a lot of internet traffic (multiple accounts streaming hulu, netflix, steam, etc), the local Intranet traffic also slows down to an abysmal rate - it's like the router doesn't have enough power to direct all the traffic - even though the local network has plenty of bandwidth, and the ISP is giving us 150Mb.

So, does anyone have any recommendation on routers that can handle *more traffic* than an Rt-AC66U? More memory, faster processors, etc?

Like maybe the RT-AC5300? Or something from Netgear? I'm looking for maximum throughput for multiple devices.

edit: just for completeness, here is more detail on the situation -

Our ISP gives us 150Mb download speed - and we do actually see that. We typically have several people streaming video at any one time - perhaps 1 or 2 from Netflix, and Hulu, and 1 person just likes watching Youtube videos. Steam is also periodically downloading all the time - There are 5 phones, 5 tablets, and 6 computers all competing for the network.

The problem is - Local intranet is getting the short shrift. All that traffic isn't being handled well by the RT-AC66U. I can be streaming from my PS4 (on Ethernet) to my PC (Wireless 5G) with nothing else going on either one, and performance is miserable because of the internet traffic (which would *max out* at 150Mb ). So I'm looking for something that can handle traffic better.

Last edited:
If you have access to a BestBuy, I would suggest trying the RT-AC1900P first and I would be testing it with QoS (Adaptive) on.

If that proves to be not enough, then consider the RT-AC3100 or the RT-AC5300 (both have double the ram of the RT-AC1900P).

You can try enabling QoS on your router, but just like the processor and identical RT-N66U, those routers are way past their due dates with today's ISP speeds and 'home' network loads such as yours.

I have an Asus RT-AC66U router. I have a variety of clients spread across ethernet, wireless 2.4ghz and wireless 5ghz.

When there is a lot of internet traffic (multiple accounts streaming hulu, netflix, steam, etc), the local Intranet traffic also slows down to an abysmal rate - it's like the router doesn't have enough power to direct all the traffic - even though the local network has plenty of bandwidth, and the ISP is giving us 150Mb.

@L&LD - see my argument about RAM space?

Our ISP gives us 150Mb download speed - and we do actually see that. We typically have several people streaming video at any one time - perhaps 1 or 2 from Netflix, and Hulu, and 1 person just likes watching Youtube videos. Steam is also periodically downloading all the time - There are 5 phones, 5 tablets, and 6 computers all competing for the network.

The problem is - Local intranet is getting the short shrift. All that traffic isn't being handled well by the RT-AC66U. I can be streaming from my PS4 (on Ethernet) to my PC (Wireless 5G) with nothing else going on either one, and performance is miserable because of the internet traffic (which would *max out* at 150Mb ). So I'm looking for something that can handle traffic better.
Forgive my naivete but as a low end user I'm just blown away that you run enough intranet traffic that you even notice a slow down : -) I'm also surprised that a 150 Mbps uplink could saturate a decent router? (And jealous since my uplink at work is a mere 15 and home is only 5 Mbps.)

That said I'm left wondering if you're software switching rather than through hardware? (Forgive my vernacular, I don't know the proper terms.) I ask because while I was debugging a couple issues on my lowly RT-N66R I was transferring at 600 plus Mbps between two PCs. Which makes me wonder; try putting your PC on Ethernet and then stream between your PS4 and your PC while the Internet is busy. If that runs well I might then take a closer look what's going on with 5 GHz.

What's your real time traffic monitor showing? What's flat lining? 5, 2.4 or Ethernet? If it's the 5 GHz and your PC is on 5 (corroborating with the previous paragraph) perhaps you're just saturating the 5 GHz band? If 2.4 is empty-ish try moving the PC to that (assuming Ethernet isn't practical) and see if performance doesn't get better?

I'm probably way off base but I like digging a little before I throw money I don't have at a problem. If it turns out that you have too many things competing for 5 GHz simply moving a few things to Ethernet (or even 2.4) might get you by. Or, if you can't then your tests might point you to a router with a 2nd 5GHz radio (like the 5300) rather than something else.

I guess it's also possible that one of your devices is on the edge of 5 GHz which could compromise performance for everyone on 5 GHz. Perhaps walk around with a WiFi analyzer and see if any of your devices are on the edge?

Sorry for the ramble ...

Last edited:
The problem isnt the router, you just lack wifi bandwidth because when you're streaming from wire to wifi you might be streaming at a high quality. Remember that wifi practical rates arent that great so if you are trying to use both internet and LAN at the same time through the same interface at full speeds is where the bottleneck is. The router has no issues handling the load you have, its just the interface itself isnt fast enough such as if not all 5Ghz clients operate at the same speed than the slower speed ones will slow down the faster devices.

So, does anyone have any recommendation on routers that can handle *more traffic* than an Rt-AC66U? More memory, faster processors, etc?

Like maybe the RT-AC5300? Or something from Netgear? I'm looking for maximum throughput for multiple devices.

edit: just for completeness, here is more detail on the situation -

This might be useful for you: Router for 20+ devices streaming video

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!