What's new

Looking to upgrade my old router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And your question, expectations, budget, current router, ISP level and anything else relavent is?

Expectations better connection speeds then the current E900 N router I have. I would like to stay under $125 if I could. My level of service is premiere 100mbs. I need nothing fancy just something I can plug in and connect my 6 devices and get a good connection,

I would recommend the RT-AC56U (it is regularly on sale for $100 or less). Along with RMerlin firmware (or john9527's or hggome's fork of RMerlin).

At that price range, there is nothing else to consider, imo. You will get an excellent AC1200 class router with above AC1200 performance and many of the features and performance benefits of models costing two or three times as much.

Or for $30 more you could do a TP-Link Archer C9 for full AC1900 and stock firmware that's a fair amount less flaky out-of-the-box than the Asus. But to each their own. :)

I am not familiar with the TP-Link products, but with my experience with the RT-AC56U for several customers and with RMerlin's or hggomes current firmware, I cannot image a more stable or better performing solution for the price. Or one that will continue getting upgraded with new features, capabilities and security fixes as time goes on.

You're probably right, L&LD. I just figured I'd throw something in the ring that didn't require a third-party firmware flash right off the bat -- albeit, an RMerlin flash can happen directly from stock, so it's less of a conundrum for novices.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!