What's new

Losing WAN access weekly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rando

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Have a question about PPPoE on Asus RT-N66U and keeping the wan connection alive? I'm using Centurylink's FIber connection from the ONT straight to the rt-n66u. I have the idle timeout option to 0, but about every week I have to reboot the router..lan works fine...I just have to reboot to get a connection again. I've tried both options under Internet dection...ppp echo and dns probe with same results..QOS is off....I've called ISP and if I had their modem/router if keep alive is already checked they'd just replace the hardware...any suggestions?

thanks,
Randy

.I've called ISP and if I had their modem/router if keep alive is already checked they'd just replace the hardware...any suggestions?

so do you have their supplied device or any other router you can test with as the only way to know if its the router is to test with another

the isp may be also refreshing the dhcp server after a week and this may also be bumping you off

so do you have their supplied device or any other router you can test with as the only way to know if its the router is to test with another

the isp may be also refreshing the dhcp server after a week and this may also be bumping you off

Unfortuantely it's the only router i own...I am using DDNS...not sure if it would make a difference or not but i set that to refresh to instead of 21 days to 5 days.

I was running 380.64_2 and I just upgraded to 380.65 a few mins ago. It actually happened this morning around 12:30 am..I got an error in the sys log stating issues connecting to internet and to redirect... , unfortunately i forgot to copy the exact wording before the firmware upgrade so it's wiped. At any rate instead of rebooting this time..I just went to WAN section and clicked apply and it reconnected to the internet using the ppp0e credentials....so i wonder if merlin could put a piece of code in that when that error occurs to have the router try to reconnect using the same authentication method once..then if it didn't work again to maybe put a log stating having issues with authenticating pppoe or something similar.

Pry wouldn't want it to continue to try to connect after 1 retry in case it locks out users account..ect.