What's new

Luma with wired backhaul or Orbi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matthew

New Around Here
We live in a fairly new 3800 square foot single story house. The house has ethernet cabling (currently unused) run to all the important rooms that terminates in the master bedroom closet . The first idea floating in my head is to set up Luma with wired backhaul for at least 2 of the 3 units. After setting up the wired connection, I could run my Fire TV in the living room and desktop computer in the home office off the wired connection and use the Luma wireless for the rest - iPhones, tablets, a laptop, and other little goodies. My problem point would be if the wiring isn't the greatest, and I get in over my head with the switch, etc.

Alternative and bit more expensive option, purchase 2-unit Orbi system for everything and skip the wired connections. I would skip the wired connections because I don't think placing the Orbi in the master bedroom closet would be the best place. However, I would set the main unit in my entertainment center which would allow me to run a wired connection for my Fire TV. My problem point here would be if the two Orbi do not cover the entire house, in which case I'm looking at $500 compared to $300 for Luma/wired option. I'm willing to spend the money if it's the best option, but saving money is never bad.

Browsing the SNB Forums has been immensely helpful. I appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you.

We live in a fairly new 3800 square foot single story house. The house has ethernet cabling (currently unused) run to all the important rooms that terminates in the master bedroom closet .

my answer would be dont use ether as you gain nothing from running mesh on ethernet and even the orbi isnt as good as ethernet

what i suggest you look at is some of the ubiquiti unifi ac ap's and a ubiquiti egde router with poe and if need be a simple switch to also connect all the other points to

this would be by far the best course of action and get the best result

the orbi would be the next choice however why waste the ethernet

Using Ethernet to connect multiple access points is always better than wireless. Mesh products connected in this way won't run "mesh", i.e. won't use wireless to connect back to the root node (the one hardwired to your modem). But you will get the other features of the system (band-steering, smoother roaming) without having to futz with settings.

Systems like the Ubiquiti UniFi, which is so often cited as the go-to solution here, are not designed for consumers and are more complicated to set up and manage. Good if you like to tinker. Bad if you want to plug something in and be done.

If I go the Ubiquiti UniFi route, would I still get smooth transitions between points? With current router and extenders, my wifi calls on my iPhones drop whenever I'm walking around the house. My next step is going to be testing the cabling to make sure they work. Thanks again for your help!

Devices are in control for roaming
APs can "encourage" devices to roam but there are no guarantees.

The Ubiquity also requires proper configuration.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!