What's new

mad wife keeps switching off router..stopping WOL ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loady

Hi.

I have an asus rt n66u running merlin firmware, i have set up open VPN on it and can access the router remotley without issue, i can normally switch on my server via WOL but my wife has got into the habit of powering down everything at night (we live apart), the modem, router and everything, when she powers it back on in the mornings i can again i access router but WOL does nothing, the only way to resolve this is to have the server switched on by someone so i can get in then shut it down, from there on i can wake and turn off without issue untill at nioght when she powers off.

What is happening by her doing this and is there anything i can do to stop it happening, apart from bury her. What i mean is, does the powering down process do something to either the router or the server that wont allow it to WOL.

Thanks

In the bios on my pc you can set it to power on after power loss, wol for me works from a sleeping system not when shut down.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I think you should install a new wife. :)

INSTALLING WIFE Version 1.0

Dear Technical Support

Last year I upgraded my system from Girlfriend 7.0 to Wife 1.0 and noticed that the new program
began creating problems within the system processing and that took up a lot of space and valuable
resources.

Wife 1.0 installs itself into all other programs and launches during systeminitialization, where it monitors
all other system activity.

Applications such as Poker Night 2.3, Girlfriend 3.2 and Saturday Football 5.0 no longer run, crashing
the entire system whenever selected :(

I cannot seem to keep Wife 1.0 in the background while running my other favorite applications. Whichever
module or software I enter, only Wife 1.0 seems to run and nothing else. I am thinking about going back to
Girlfriend 7.0, but the uninstall from Wife 1.0 to Girlfriend 7.0 does not work on this program. Can you help me, please!!!

Signed,
Confused

Dear Confused,
This is a very common problem men users of the Wife 1.0

software complain about but it is mostly due to a primary misconception of the software. Many men upgrade from Girlfriend 7.0 to Wife 1.0 with the idea that Wife 1.0 is merely a UTILITIES & ENTERTAINMENT program.

Wife 1.0 is an OPERATING SYSTEM and designed by its creator to run everything. It is unlikely you would be able to purge Wife 1.0 and still convert back to Girlfriend 7.0. Hidden operating files within your system would cause Girlfriend 7.0 to emulate Wife 1.0 so nothing is gained. It is impossible to uninstall, delete, or purge the program files from the system once installed!!
You cannot go back to Girlfriend 7.0 because Wife 1.0 is not designed to do this.
Some have tried to install Girlfriend 8.0 or Wife 2.0 but end up with more problems than the original system. Look in your
manual under "Worries Invited For Ever (Wife 1.0)".

I recommend you keep Wife 1.0 and just deal with the situation. Having Wife 1.0 installed myself, I might also suggest you
read the entire section regarding general partnership faults (GPFs).
You must assume all responsibility for faults and problems that might occur, regardless of their cause. The best course of action to solve this major IT problem of yours will be to enter the command C:\APOLOGIZE.

In any case avoid excessive use of the Esc key because ultimately
you will have to give the APOLOGIZE command before the operating system will return to normal.

The system will run smoothly as long as you take the blame for all the GPFs. Wife 1.0 is a great program,
but very high maintenance.

Consider buying additional software to improve the performance of Wife 1.0. I recommend you to install
the latest gift software like Flowers 2.1, Necklaces 3.2, and Chocolates 5.0.

Note: Do not under any circumstances,

install Secretary With Skirt 3.3.This is not a supported application; in fact it is a deadly virus for Wife 1.0
and is likely to cause irreversible damage to the operating system.

Signed,

Tech Support

Having the server automatically powering on is probably the best way. Otherwise, you will also have to check in the BIOS to ensure that WOL is enabled at the BIOS level, not just at the OS level. Also, if the switch itself got powered off/on, I'm not sure it will know the MAC address of your server, so this might also prevent WOL from working.

Hi.

I have an asus rt n66u running merlin firmware, i have set up open VPN on it and can access the router remotley without issue, i can normally switch on my server via WOL but my wife has got into the habit of powering down everything at night (we live apart), the modem, router and everything, when she powers it back on in the mornings i can again i access router but WOL does nothing, the only way to resolve this is to have the server switched on by someone so i can get in then shut it down, from there on i can wake and turn off without issue untill at nioght when she powers off.

What is happening by her doing this and is there anything i can do to stop it happening, apart from bury her. What i mean is, does the powering down process do something to either the router or the server that wont allow it to WOL.

Thanks

There is no problem WOL if the server is NOT hard shut down, the server has been shut down gracefully but she is then switching it off at the wall..so server shut down properly >>> wife turns off at wall before she goes to bed....Done some more reading around and it would seem to say that once power has been removed then WOL will not work untill the server is restarted and shut down again..seems that removing the power is have some effect and doesnt look like there is any work around this other than try to convince her to leave the power to the server on...unless it is the power to the router that causes this...i dont understand why it doesnt just work as normal after a hard shut down.

There is no problem WOL if the server is NOT hard shut down, the server has been shut down gracefully but she is then switching it off at the wall..so server shut down properly >>> wife turns off at wall before she goes to bed....Done some more reading around and it would seem to say that once power has been removed then WOL will not work untill the server is restarted and shut down again..seems that removing the power is have some effect and doesnt look like there is any work around this other than try to convince her to leave the power to the server on...unless it is the power to the router that causes this...i dont understand why it doesnt just work as normal after a hard shut down.

As I said, if your switch's internal ARP tables had their MAC tables flushed by the power cycle, they probably no longer know on which Ethernet port that server's MAC is connected to, so WOL won't work until your server actually talks to the switch, and provides it with its MAC. This is the most likely reason, unless BIOS-level WOL isn't enabled (as opposed to OS-level, which would work if the router is being shut down by the OS, not by a power failure). Either of these two explanations would explain why it works after a power shutdown, but not after a complete power failure of all equipments.

So server is turned off gracefully and then at some point the electricity is turned off...are you saying this is the same as a power failure ?...she adamant that she will power down at night the modem and router..if i can convince her to leave the electricity supply to the server (it only has an led inside) then will i be able to wol or will it not matter as the router has been powererd off completley. Just want to reiterate i am not experiencing power failures, the server is normally off and i just turn it on and off as i need it so its always powered down correctly...shes just removing the electricity afterwards...is there any way around this...i different NIC or something ?

My server runs UNraid, The static ip of the network in the server would be 192.168.11.122 which is what i set in unraid and i access it via this ?

So server is turned off gracefully and then at some point the electricity is turned off...are you saying this is the same as a power failure ?...she adamant that she will power down at night the modem and router..if i can convince her to leave the electricity supply to the server (it only has an led inside) then will i be able to wol or will it not matter as the router has been powererd off completley. Just want to reiterate i am not experiencing power failures, the server is normally off and i just turn it on and off as i need it so its always powered down correctly...shes just removing the electricity afterwards...is there any way around this...i different NIC or something ?

Yes, for all intent and purposes, someone flicking the switch off is the same as a power failure (as opposed to doing a clean shutdown).

Having a static MAC (if the switch to which the devices are connected allows it) might help, as long the BIOS itself also properly allows WOL to work at power on time. But honestly, servers should typically be configured to automatically power themselves on in case of power failure.

But the server is switched off.. wife is just turning off power to it at night..not like server running and just flicking off at wall

Ok so i followed the guide and have tested it and indeed when i type arp into telnet session to router it shows ip and mac address with perm in the line.
I tried to wol but no joy..do i need to get the server switched on so router sees it first then go on from there on.

What is the point? Looks like there is war going on between you two? If you fix current problem, she will find another way to hassle you. you can't win over SWMBO , LOL! Don't underestimate the power of mad human being.

No its amicable... she read somewhere it damages your health..im ttying to convince otherwise

No its amicable... she read somewhere it damages your health..im ttying to convince otherwise

Tell her that turning devices off and on too often reduces their life, which means the wallet will be damaged if you have to buy a new one earlier than expected. :)

(and it's the actual truth, especially with hard disks).

The server has to support WOL from a power off state (IIRC, I think it's S5 state). Without that support, WOL won't work if the server is powered off. Or maybe, I'm still confused about the scenario :)

Since It must be the wireless that bothers her (the router itself absolutely #radiates# nothing), why not use the wireless schedule to turn wireless off at night, assuming the n66 has that feature. If not, you could ask her to install a timeclock that automatically switches it on and off. I would be interested to know if she uses a mechanical clock as well...

Try adding a static arp entry for your server via script on the router.
Start reading here....
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-set-arp-ip-static-wake-on-lan-wan.30762/#post-242262

in some circumstances, I noticed that the ARP table get flushed from time to time ; therefore I have put my ARP static commands in a crontab in addition to the service-start ... and so far, no issue at all ....
Rgds,
GS

P.S. In any cases, I would vote for the "bury" option ..... :eek:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!