What's new

Max Throughput Dropped to 50 Mbps randomly?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

interconnect

Occasional Visitor
Just noticed something weird with my RT-AC68U (running Merlin 378.56_2) today. I went to transfer a file to my NAS and the max throughput I could get was 50 Mbps... usually it tops out at ~230 Mbps. No other traffic on the network. I rebooted the router and tried transferring again, and bam, got 230 Mbps. Has anyone seen this before? This concerns me because I recently purchased this router and have not been impressed at all. I've been noticing other weird issues like when on wifi some sites won't load for some reason, and then like 5-10 seconds later it'll work. These are large sites like Apple, Google, etc. that I'm sure aren't down. Has happened numerous times. I've never had any issues with my computers that are connected via Cat6 ethernet though.

AC56U/AC68U is proven to be a very solid platform. So I'm surprised to hear the issue happened in your situation. Given that said, I did observe similar drops in some Merlin releases over the years but very rare. In case, you're looking for 'rational' justification, you might read this post.

If you haven't tried 378.55, worth giving it a spin. That release is rock solid for me. (There is no reason to always upgrade to the latest version IMHO - check the changelog and see what's new you're getting before upgrade..)

Thanks for the info. I purchased the AC68U for that very reason. I had heard a lot of good things about ASUS routers in terms of reliability, configurability and being able to load third party firmwares. I will try that build if I see it happen again. So far so good.