What's new

Media streaming for several devices - What model?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quiksilversvt

New Around Here
First time poster here, I've searched several pages of threads and couldn't find any threads or posts that elaborated on which model would be sufficient to host data to several media streaming devices at once.

Right now, I am currently just using my desktop PC to serve SD and HD video files to a Raspberri Pi running XBMC which is hooked to our main TV. We are moving into a new house which has ethernet connectivity in every room so I am looking to expand our media system so that the TVs in the master bedroom and the other two bedrooms will be able to stream videos from the NAS as well.

This means that there would be the potential for up to 4 devices to be pulling video from the NAS at once. Not sure whether I will be building more Raspberry Pi's with XBMC for the 3 rooms, or if there is a better media streaming device which will run XBMC...

Nevertheless, would a Synology 213j with two WD Red drives be sufficient to host video files to 4 media streaming devices at once? Or would I need to go with a higher class model, 214 or 214+?

EDIT: Or should I look at building my own NAS? Reading through some of the threads there, it looks like if I want to do any sort of multi-tasking (serving to several streaming devices at once, writing files to disk, etc) then I might need to build my own NAS in order to not realize any performance issues.

Last edited:
First time poster here, I've searched several pages of threads and couldn't find any threads or posts that elaborated on which model would be sufficient to host data to several media streaming devices at once.

Right now, I am currently just using my desktop PC to serve SD and HD video files to a Raspberri Pi running XBMC which is hooked to our main TV. We are moving into a new house which has ethernet connectivity in every room so I am looking to expand our media system so that the TVs in the master bedroom and the other two bedrooms will be able to stream videos from the NAS as well.

This means that there would be the potential for up to 4 devices to be pulling video from the NAS at once. Not sure whether I will be building more Raspberry Pi's with XBMC for the 3 rooms, or if there is a better media streaming device which will run XBMC...

Nevertheless, would a Synology 213j with two WD Red drives be sufficient to host video files to 4 media streaming devices at once? Or would I need to go with a higher class model, 214 or 214+?

EDIT: Or should I look at building my own NAS? Reading through some of the threads there, it looks like if I want to do any sort of multi-tasking (serving to several streaming devices at once, writing files to disk, etc) then I might need to build my own NAS in order to not realize any performance issues.
DIY NAS will be missing most of the nice features in commercial NASes.
Media streaming... DS213j will be fine. It and QNAP's similar product have DLNA and other streaming. Again, I would use Roku or some such and not Raspberry Pi, and do neither if it is possible to use a TV with built-in ethernet or WiFi. Or use a DVD player with Ethernet and same apps as fancy TV would have.

Hi,
Even tho. I have small Synology NAS, we happen to have smart BD player which can stream media stuff directly off internet to TV set. My ISP package gives 50/3 speed. With BD player connected to 5GHz WiFi it works pretty good. It maintains 30 - 50mbps speed
steady.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!