What's new

Meta-Poll

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Reason I Don't Answer Polls is:

• My Brain is so big it can't be reduce to a mere mouse click

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Polling is so inefficient, I prefer Push technology

• So that is what that Box up there is for, I can just select one?

• None of you Damn Business! Noisy Parker!

• New Nas: Synology or Qnap?

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • You know Polling is a way for Space Aliens to Steal you Brain

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • If I wanted to Answer Polls, I'd Join a Political Party

• I got your Poll, I got it right here...

• Benjamin, I have but one word to you. Just one word. Poll

• What was the Question Again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GregN

There is a major mystery, folks post polls all the time, and yet they rarely get a response.

The only poll I posted has had nearly five hundred folks read it, but only got 14 responses, really thirteen since I clicked an answer. Quite a few polls get no responses at all.

So here is a poll to resolve this mystery once an for all. Please respond above.

Last edited:
I believe the lack of participation stems from several factors.

Buying Advice forums in general:
Nobody knows what ADSL2+ modem-routers for under 20 doubloons are available at Beet Buy (Estonia's #1 produce and consumer electronics store), much less which one to recommend. Each constraint imposed cuts the audience by an order of magnitude.

On the other end of the spectrum, if your question can be answered with "DIR-655" you probably won't get a response either. Studies have shown that 65.5% of people who ask for advice without doing any research of their own will respond a month later (if it all) saying they bought a different router since it was on sale. 82.5% of advice providers who realize this stop browsing the subforum completely.

Polls:
Polls would be an excellent resource if each respondent had first-hand experience with all of the products under discussion. As single unit purchases, routers and NASs don't lend themselves to that format. The outcome is that recommendations are largely a reflection of the ownership demographics (if Synology users outnumber QNAP 4 to 1, it should not be surprising that Synology is the poll winner). Knowing this, I do not participate in polls unless I can recommend a particular product at the exclusion of all others.

For people who don't want to do their homework, all they need to do is look at the "Most Popular" products on Pricegrabber, Amazon, etc. Or visit the Popular NAS or Popular Wireless pages.

"most popular" is a synonym for "best marketing" and unrelated to "best product"
Most popular has numerous meanings.

On the SNB Popular pages, the reviews shown are the most read for the week starting Sunday. For Amazon and Pricegrabber, the products shown are the best-selling.

My previous Poll had nothing to do with a particular product, just asked what folks were doing with their NAS.

Presumably quite few readers here have NASes, or at least more than 14 do....

This whole poll of course was more an exercise in humor, a yuck, had a total of 21 possible answers, but the poll is limited to 10....

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!