What's new

MicroTik, EdgeRouter or something else?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hedly

Regular Contributor
Hey all,
I hope you can provide a little recommendation. Several years ago I updated my house to with a TP-Link AC1750. We don't get strong wireless in some of the bedrooms due distance and the number of walls (including a brick wall).

I tried using an older TP-link router as an access point in the back bedrooms, but our devices didn't handle the handoff well. There's just enough signal strength and the phones wouldn't let go of the primary router.

But I just realized that I have a potential solution which is to move the router into the living room behind the entertainment center where I already have an old switch. This would remove a wall of interference. I was thinking of turning the TP-Link into just an Access Point so I don't have to run the phone line there. Moving the router to a more central location is really out of the question due to having a vaulted ceiling between the bedrooms and where the phone comes into the house.

So that mean I would need a new router. I don't have the time to tinker much beyond the initial setup. I do use OpenDNS to provide some filtering to my house; otherwise our network is really simple. One HTPC, a Win10 file server (photos, music, movies, and some files), ObiTalk phone device, printer, 2 desktops, 3 cell phones, an occasional laptop, and the in-laws phones when they are over. The wired connections (HTPC, printer, desktops, file server) are done via a D-Link 16 port gigabit switch.

So with that said, should I try out something like the Ubituiti EdgeRouter (X or Lite), MicroTik (hEx or hEx Lite) or something else?

I don't have the time to tinker much beyond the initial setup.

So with that said, should I try out something like the Ubituiti EdgeRouter (X or Lite), MicroTik (hEx or hEx Lite) or something else?

For not having much time to tinker you are picking the two most difficult routers you have to tinker with on this site.

go with pfsense, you dont seem very knowledgeable about configuring these routers so pfsense is your best bet as its the easiest compared to them even easier than openwrt.

go with pfsense, you dont seem very knowledgeable about configuring these routers so pfsense is your best bet as its the easiest compared to them even easier than openwrt.
pfSense can take folks down the same path...

OpenWRT is a bit more friendly there...

If you run pfsense don't run SNORT because it needs constant attention.

I run a Cisco RV320 router. It is easy set and forget it. Now days I would probably buy a RV340 router.

Thanks all.
Concerning pfsense, I am trying to not have another computer. Although I guess I can build a small one.

OpenWRT is interesting but would still require purchasing another router as nothing I have at home is compatible.

I didn't realize that the EdgeRouters and hEx took so much to get up and running.
I found the EdgeRouter Beginners Guide below and that seems doable:
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002531728-EdgeRouter-Beginners-Guide-to-EdgeRouter

The hEx seems more complicated to set up from Doug Reed's article back in September 2017 and from some other wiki's I've run into (hEx for dummies for instance).

I was trying to save money by not purchasing another wireless router (i.e. paying for wireless capability when it's not necessarily needed) and the two devices above seem relatively inexpensive and get such great reviews from this website.

The Cisco routers mentions by coxhause are a bit out of my price range.

So is there another $50 router with decent performance that is relatively easy to set up for a home network?
Do the two routers above require periodic modifications (aside from maybe flash updates or something)?
- Or once they are set do I just let them rip from now until either I give up the ghost or the router does.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated.

You can buy a used Cisco RV320 router off eBay for around $50. You would want to load the latest firmware on it before you use it. It is an older router so the firmware should not change much.

I currently run a RV320 router which I bought when they first came out years ago. They are fast with web pages.

Thanks all.
Concerning pfsense, I am trying to not have another computer. Although I guess I can build a small one.

OpenWRT is interesting but would still require purchasing another router as nothing I have at home is compatible.

I didn't realize that the EdgeRouters and hEx took so much to get up and running.
I found the EdgeRouter Beginners Guide below and that seems doable:
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002531728-EdgeRouter-Beginners-Guide-to-EdgeRouter

The hEx seems more complicated to set up from Doug Reed's article back in September 2017 and from some other wiki's I've run into (hEx for dummies for instance).

I was trying to save money by not purchasing another wireless router (i.e. paying for wireless capability when it's not necessarily needed) and the two devices above seem relatively inexpensive and get such great reviews from this website.

The Cisco routers mentions by coxhause are a bit out of my price range.

So is there another $50 router with decent performance that is relatively easy to set up for a home network?
Do the two routers above require periodic modifications (aside from maybe flash updates or something)?
- Or once they are set do I just let them rip from now until either I give up the ghost or the router does.

Any further input would be greatly appreciated.
You can buy a used Cisco RV320 router off eBay for around $50. You would want to load the latest firmware on it before you use it. It is an older router so the firmware should not change much.

I currently run a RV320 router which I bought when they first came out years ago. They are fast with web pages.
I still would not recommend cisco RV regardless because its in the same category as a regular consumer router, not a configurable one. Cisco RV doesnt have any advantage over a regular consumer router and its not representative of cisco quality.

I still would not recommend cisco RV regardless because its in the same category as a regular consumer router, not a configurable one. Cisco RV doesnt have any advantage over a regular consumer router and its not representative of cisco quality.

I have to disagree with a RV320 router being at the same level as a consumer router. The RV320 has ACLs access control lists which makes it way better than most small routers. With ACLs you can control lots of things within the router. I don't know of any consumer routers with ACLs. It also does VLANs pretty well. It has everything it needs to work well with a layer 3 switch. It also has low lag on painting web pages.

Plus right now it is a lot cheaper than trying run a PC router when you buy 1 used.

And finally I would not run a router without ACLs. I use them all the time.

Last edited:
I have to disagree with a RV320 router being at the same level as a consumer router. The RV320 has ACLs access control lists which makes it way better than most small routers. With ACLs you can control lots of things within the router. I don't know of any consumer routers with ACLs. It also does VLANs pretty well. It has everything it needs to work well with a layer 3 switch. It also has low lag on painting web pages.

Plus right now it is a lot cheaper than trying run a PC router when you buy 1 used.

So do many consumer routers. They're just embedded linux.

Many consumer routers have a decent default config, they do quite decently normally, just not as bad as dlink with their intentional backdoors.

The point here is that cisco RV is used when you are considering a consumer router. If you want a configurable router and want to learn enterprise networking, you need something like openwrt, pfsense, mikrotik,BSD, pro cisco and even server x86 OSes

Could you name some of the consumer routers which have ACLs? Every time I try to help some one on this site they tell me their router does not have ACLs. None of the Asus routers have ACLs.
they do with RMerlin's firmware.

ACLs on a normal consumer router tend to be disguised, thats why its not easy. I've seen crappy modems and modem routers that have it. You wont find this on tp link or other similar routers as they keep their firmwares basic (as they should do), but some brands like dlink do actually have it but at the price point they make these things, buggy as well.

What im trying to say is that there are times for a cisco RV but what the OP is asking for is to get into configurable routers, so i recommended pfsense because i know its one of the easiest configurable routers to use. Its not just ACLs but a lot of other features too. What the OP wants is for a low cost configurable router. Cisco RVs dont cost that low not is it in the same class as configurable routers.

To be exactly honest with you, on the consumer level, what would someone need their ACLs on the router for when they would use the firewall of the device they port forward? UPNP is another thing as you cant configure UPNP in detail on the cisco RV either. If they are looking to do a filtered multi LAN where ACLs tend to be used i would recommend a managed switch over the router doing the work as well.

On some consumer routers that support VPNs, they do allow for specific configuration based on device or application, just not as detailed as an ACL lets you but its a sacrifice made for user friendliness for those who arent techies like us.

they do with RMerlin's firmware.

No they don't. Ask RMerlin.... I was trying to have a user lock down his Asus router with RMerlin for DNS. No ACLs.

Can you name another router with ACLs?

pfsense does have ACLs but it is not a consumer router.

Last edited:
So against my judgement, I started poking around at the pfsense stuff and found some articles on this forum as well as on the net on setting up a pfsense router. It seems that some folks have built them in pretty small computer cases while others have built them in server chassis.

So, for a home network like mine (file server for photos, music, and videos; several hard wired machines; wired printer; OBIHai using google voice for the land line; several wireless devices; and occasionally watching online shows from Amazon or live-streaming sports websites) with a 50Mbps connection...what would you recommend as a processor? This will drive the mobo which will need to have at least two network jacks (seems like intel based boards and/or NICs are recommended). Memory and hard drives are easy to identify after that. But the processor is where I'm not sure where to begin. I've seen some folks using multi-core atom processors and then I've seen some (some of whom have answered this post) using i5 processors. That's runs a pretty wide gamut in capabilities.

Thanks again.

I too would disagree with the rv320 (or any rv series) being on the same level as consumer. As soon as a device can do ipsec vpns, that's no longer a consumer router in my book.

I have a bit of a crazy idea--use your old tplink router as just a router. It should be able to handle the bandwidth. Cost $0. :D

I have a bit of a crazy idea--use your old tplink router as just a router. It should be able to handle the bandwidth. Cost $0. :D
The old router is only 100Mbps.

I also checked my ATT gateway and it's only got a 100Mbps switch in it as well.

But I think I might have an interim solution. I ran two 1Gbps ethernet cables to behind the entertainment center. One goes to a router which goes to the TV and receiver, the other goes right to the HTPC. I could swap that dumb switch for my TPLink wireless router. Then use both ethernet cables there to connect the gateway and my Gig switch. The remaining jacks on the back of the router would then be used to connect the TV and the receiver (which I really only use for updates). That way I can pretty much leave the Gateway where it is and not have to run any new cables.

This solution would probably be fine since I don't have that fast a connection to the house (I think it's 50Mbps max).