What's new

Mikrotik CCR igmp snooping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paraplu

Regular Contributor
Maybe somebody has experience with the following scenario, and could help me a bit?

Trying to setup routed multicast IPTV using an CCR1009. Problem is that this multicast goes through all bridged ports, including my LAN. Which I do not want to. I just want to have this busy traffic going to specific physical ports only. Apparently routeros does not support igmp snooping. Should I apply bridge filters, or can this be done smarter way?

All help appreciated

RouterOS does actually have IGMP snooping but it is something you have to manually configure. If you are doing it on layer 2 apply bridge filters for multicast traffic and have it forwarded where you want.

Multicast traffic will get forwarded in layer 2 automatically but in your case you will want to control where it can go.

Edit: The layer 2 filters on routerOS can also be based on IP so you can use IP addresses in the layer 2 firewall.

Last edited:
It's a bit more complicated. Igmpproxy is indeed supported through manual intervention, but igmp snooping isn't.
Still trying to get a hand on this but seems not possible for routeros at its current firmware level. TBC.

Problem solved. Having a separate bridge for my IPTV devices, with its own LAN and DHCP server, combined with igmpproxy, works fine. No need for bridge manipulations. Thanks.

you can manually implement igmp snooping in bridge filters, just select multicast as packet type. If you read wikipedia on igmp snooping, it is implemented in layer 2 for that layer 3 protocol. In routerOS you can actually target IGMP packets in bridging by selecting MAC Protocol: IP and selecting Protocol: IGMP in IP section. You can also apply this in bridge NAT if you need to build tables.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!