What's new

Mixing HomePlugs (Powerline Adapters)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nheather

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

The FAQ on the TP-Link website says that you can mix their AV and AV2 Powerline adapters but stresses that it will only work at the lowest speed.

That much seems obvious but what it does make clear is whether it is the connection segment that will run at a lower speed or the whole adapter.

For example, say I wanted a fast connection between my TV and main network (broadband router and NAS). I'd connect an AV1200 to the main network and another AV1200 to the TV. That would be fine, I'd have a AV1200<>AV1200 connection.

But what if I had some AV500 adapters around the house that also need to connect to the main network. Those AV500<>AV1300 would work at the AV500 speed according to the TP-Link FAQ.

But this would mean that the AV1300 at the main network would be connected to AV1300 and AV500 simultaneously. Does this mean that the whole adapter would downgrade to AV500 mode or would it opperate both 1300 and 500 circuits at the same time.

Cheers,

Nigel

correct , it forces the av1300 down to the homeplug standard of the av500

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the response. Yes I understand that if an AV500 connects to an AV1200 it will operate at 500 Mbps.

The nuance to my question is what happens if you have three Powerlines, 1200 (A), 1200 (B) and 500 (C) and they connect to form simultaneous circuits

Circuit 1:- A<>B (1200<>1200)
Circuit 2:- A<>C (1200<>500)

Now it is crystal clear that Circuit 2 will operate at 500Mbps but what about Circuit 1? Will that be dragged down to 500Mbps because of Circuit 2 or will that operate at 1200Mbps.

Note: Both circuits operating simultaneously.

Cheers,

Nigel

All powerline devices share the same frequency spectrum. AV2 devices can access higher bands that AV devices cannot. But they all use the same base frequencies.

AV2 devices will slow to AV rates ONLY when the AV device is active.

Get rid of the AV devices. AV2 is faster and cheap enough.

AV/AV2 are TDM based - the AV2-AV link will run at AV500 when the AV500 has the time slot...

AV2-AV2 continues to run at AV2 speeds...