What's new

Modem loses connection when gaming with rt-ax3000 v2

• Thread starter Deleted member 89206
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 89206

Hello,

I for some reason seem to lose connection from gateway the XB7 (that is provided by the ISP) in bridge mode with a aftermarket router asus rt-ax3000 v2.

The computer is connected to the router using a Ethernet cable.

Now normally this will happen when connected to servers for online games.

When I connect to a rust server for example, the first time after connecting the modem will lose connection after 15 to 25 minutes.

Modem will go from yellow, to blinking green, then to a solid white.

After it gets a connection again, it will stop happening but there will be some lag when playing online.

I do have the router connect to the modem's bottom right port which is the one with the orange dots (the 2.5gbs port).

Router does not have any trend micro services setup just the basics with ipv4 and ipv6.

When looking for solutions online some people have said to enable "Associate Ethernet Port 2 to XFINITY HOME Network".

There other posts that state "xfinity home network" has nothing to do with bridge mode and that is for xifinity home security.

The ping seems a bit higher on the asus router.

Is possible that, somehow, double nat is occuring?

You can access the modem page from being connected directly to the router by placing in the modems ip address.

Asus config settings:

Code:
IPV4

Firewall:

firewall enabled (have not placed any custom rules)

Enable DoS protection: No

Logged packets type: None

Respond ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN:No

IPV6:

Firewall:

firewall enabled (have not placed any custom rules, have not used the famous server list option)

Wifi:

WPA 2 Encryption.

WPS is disabled

Login:

Router Login Username: Changed

Router Login Password Changed

Ipv6:

ipv6 Enabled

Connection type: Native

DHCP-pD: Enabled

Auto Configuration Setting: Stateless

Connect to DNS Server automatically: Enabled

Enable Router Advertisement: Enabled

Various:

Telnet and ssh are disabled.

Remote Access is disabled.

UPnP is disabled.

Trend Micro features are disabled.

Alexa router settings are turned off.

Last edited by a moderator:
From your description this is either an ISP problem or a problem with the XB7. Look in the XB7's log.

Is possible that, somehow, double nat is occuring?

Look at your Asus WAN IP. This is not the cause of disconnections though.

I would actually create double NAT and run this ISP modem/router in router mode for some time to see if it still disconnects. If it does - ISP has to fix.

From your description this is either an ISP problem or a problem with the XB7. Look in the XB7's log.
Tried looking at the logs. For some reason when it trys to pull the logs it hangs for a minute then says "operation could not complete". When refreshing it, you are not able to do anything including logging out. Tried to open a new tab and login but gateway way page is just stuck on loading. Still have access to the internet though.
Look at your Asus WAN IP. This is not the cause of disconnections though.

I would actually create double NAT and run this ISP modem/router in router mode for some time to see if it still disconnects. If it does - ISP has to fix.
I'm unsure what to specifically look for with the wan ip? I see the wan address and underneath it says DDNS is GO. When clicking on "GO" it takes me to a page and it shows "Enable DDNS Client: off".

I for some reason seem to lose connection from gateway the XB7 (that is provided by the ISP) in bridge mode with a aftermarket router asus rt-ax3000 v2.

Take a look at the modem logs - sounds like the GW is restarting...

Also a call to the ISP is likely in order - be prepared to take the RT-AX3000 out of the loop by connecting the PC directly to the GW via ethernet - I would do that first before calling the ISP...

I would do that first before calling the ISP...

Indeed, transfer the responsibility to the ISP. ISP device in Router mode and monitor.

I'm unsure what to specifically look for with the wan ip?

If your router has WAN IP like 192.168.x.x - it's in double NAT behind your ISP router.

Take a look at the modem logs - sounds like the GW is restarting...

Also a call to the ISP is likely in order - be prepared to take the RT-AX3000 out of the loop by connecting the PC directly to the GW via ethernet - I would do that first before calling the ISP...
I removed the router from the network, connected directly to the modem and tried looking at the logs. At first it keep saying "operating timed out. Please try again".

After rebooting the modem a few times (as it kept happening) all the logs on the modem seem to be gone.

EDIT: It seems that the event logs are the one's that I can not for some reason view. The error is "operating timed out. Please try again". The gateway does not let you download the logs if the view logs option does not work.

The rt-ax3000 v2 router did have some logs that seemed interesting

Here are the router logs of the rt-ax3000 v2
Code:
Sep 16 02:12:12 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(685): eth3: Auth    status: Successful (0), rssi:

Sep 16 02:12:12 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): eth3: Deauth_ind status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1), rssi:0

Sep 16 02:15:04 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(662): eth2: Disassoc status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0

Sep 16 02:15:04 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(695): eth3: ReAssoc status: Successful (0), rssi:-50

Sep 16 02:15:04 kernel: wl0: random key value: 373E760644194D5527790062148CB12DF31587AD0B6108BC4F3B90D00BE95636

Sep 16 03:17:36 kernel: wl1: random key value: E9126A7ECD1B62DC7E120128240F83DE4125E9C6C03507ACA4A835E0169B335A

If your router has WAN IP like 192.168.x.x - it's in double NAT behind your ISP router.
The Wan IP starts with: 76.146

I do have a spare gateway they sent me a while ago by accident.

Would it be worth trying to plug it in and see if it fixes the issue or would that require comcast to activate it and charge a extra fee?

Should I try factory resetting the gateway?

Well I have been running the gateway only for half of the day and it already started rebooting on its own.

It is isp related issue.

Thank you everyone for the help :)

Hopefully the isp will help get this resolved.

Save some money. Get a Netgear CM500 cable modem and return your rented junk. For an initial cost of about $60.00. Avaliable at Amazon, Best Buy and others.

Oops...may not be a good recommendation if you use Comcast phone service. However, there are modems you can purchase that have phone service ports that are comcast, xfinity to you, compatible.

Hopefully the isp will help get this resolved.

They are going to send you a new gateway. Perhaps the one you have has issues. Contrary to popular belief ISP provided gateways are stable and mostly trouble-free. No ISP wants increased number of service calls. They cost money. Some new home gateways have better hardware inside than high-end consumer routers. If you are not after 100 knows to turn in firmware - they work well and are secure enough.

I replaced my Comcast ISP router/modem for a MB8600 modem. Now I don't have to pay the monthly rental fee and I haven't had any issues with this modem at all. Best decision I made.

Luckily, you have other options to use as well SB8200/Arris S33 /MB8611 as well. You can easily setup thru their app as well.

Best of luck!!!

Save some money. Get a Netgear CM500 cable modem and return your rented junk. For an initial cost of about $60.00. Avaliable at Amazon, Best Buy and others.

Oops...may not be a good recommendation if you use Comcast phone service. However, there are modems you can purchase that have phone service ports that are comcast, xfinity to you, compatible.

Thank you for the recommendation.

No xifinity voice, just internet.

They are going to send you a new gateway. Perhaps the one you have has issues. Contrary to popular belief ISP provided gateways are stable and mostly trouble-free. No ISP wants increased number of service calls. They cost money. Some new home gateways have better hardware inside than high-end consumer routers. If you are not after 100 knows to turn in firmware - they work well and are secure enough.

Actually what they did, was something with the signal. Apparently the signal between the modem and there server was having a issue.

I replaced my Comcast ISP router/modem for a MB8600 modem. Now I don't have to pay the monthly rental fee and I haven't had any issues with this modem at all. Best decision I made.

Luckily, you have other options to use as well SB8200/Arris S33 /MB8611 as well. You can easily setup thru their app as well.

Best of luck!!!

Thank you I will check out the modems you listed and see if they are supported. Comcast, seems to have a list of supported modems and I need to do a little research to find out what model will work and what docsis version should be purchased.

After having the discussion with the isp yesterday and them stating it was a remote issue they could fix, I have been using only the gateway. Now the gateway seems to drop connections more frequently. As people suggest to get a new a modem, is it possible to find out if it is a coax issue or a modem issue?

There are two connections in the house.

One is for others living in the house (only internet with the same isp)

One for my room (only internet).

When they first came out they did split the connection outside and ran a new cable as there was no other cables in or outside the house that could be connected to give both of us a dedicated line to the pool in the neighboorhood that is providing internet connection for the house.

They also said it would actually take months for the isp company to run a new line from the cable line.

They charge every time someone comes and has to do anything physical that fixes a connection I'm just trying to reduce cost if possible to get this resolved.

As people suggest to get a new a modem

What I suggest is use the ISP provided gateway and ask the ISP to fix your connection before you make any changes. Changing the modem to own is equal to taking the responsibility. The ISP won't support your own equipment and you'll have less chances to get your issue resolved.

What I suggest is use the ISP provided gateway and ask the ISP to fix your connection before you make any changes. Changing the modem to own is equal to taking the responsibility. The ISP won't support your own equipment and you'll have less chances to get your issue resolved.
Thank you. I will contact them again.

Thank you for help and telling to me to talk to the isp again.

Xfinity had to replace some corroded connectors out side, and replaced the modem with a later gen as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!