What's new

Modem, Switch, Router OR Modem, Router, Switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rdbruski

New Around Here
I'd like to place my wireless router just on the other side of a wall from my modem so that the router is more centrally located in my house and has 1 less wall to go through to reach 5+ wireless devices in my home.

I have a PC, Synology NAS and a printer right next to the modem however, so I still want them on the network.

QUESTION:

I'd like to connect a gigabit switch to the modem, then through the wall directly next to the modem and switch and place the router on the other side of the wall which would be connected to the switch. The switch would then be used for my NAS, PC and printer. Everyone on the network needs to be able to get to the NAS and printer.

Can the connection be like this? Modem to switch, switch to router?

No. Your router runs your network and translates your internet from the modem to the rest of your network.

If you put a switch on the modem, and something into the switch, it may work, or the first device to pull an IP (which your router normally would do) will be on the internet, and not your home network. Also, if your router doesn't get the IP, then your network will have no internet access.

In short, don't do it. It more than likely won't work.

You either need a second switch, or the existing switch must support the creation of VLANs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!