What's new

More detailed USB storage device hardware info?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aziron5

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I'm using "Inateck" branded Sata3-to-USB3 Adapter that supposably supports UASP, however in OpenSUSE Tumbleweed dmesg reports about the USB controller "does not support streams, which are required by the UAS driver." "Please try an other USB controller if you wish to use UAS. "

So it gets treated with the usb-storage (bulk) implementation.

However, I later accidentially saw a message in the RT-AX86U_PRO Router's log (latest FW, fresh install a few days ago), saying that it found a UAS device.

Code:
May  5 07:05:22 BONDING: option disabled
May  5 07:05:23 roamast: ROAMING Start...
May  5 07:10:07 kernel: usb 2-1: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd
May  5 07:10:07 kernel: scsi host0: uas
May  5 07:10:07 kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ASMedia  ASM105x          0    PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
May  5 07:10:07 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 468862128 512-byte logical blocks: (240 GB/224 GiB)
May  5 07:10:07 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
May  5 07:10:07 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
May  5 07:10:07 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
May  5 07:10:07 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Optimal transfer size 33553920 bytes
May  5 07:10:07 kernel:  sda: sda1
May  5 07:10:07 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
May  5 07:10:14 kernel: EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: user_xattr
May  5 07:10:14 hotplug[4420]: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/sda1
May  5 07:10:14 usb: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/sda1.
May  5 07:10:14 rc_service: hotplug 4420:notify_rc restart_nasapps

The built-in busybox tool "lsusb" on the router is quite basic and won't give any more info versus what I got on desktop

I'd like to get more detailed info about this to see whether it's a bug over on desktop and perhaps the device correctly claims UASP support.

I'm not a linux expert so obvious solutions don't just pop into my thinking, but I can think there's probably some other commands I'd need to run and something else to install that's provided on Entware's repos that could help if the base FW doesn't have the tools needed for this.

Thanks

CORRECTION: I can't find any references on it's Amazon page about UASP right now for this specific one, I bought and searched for a couple a while ago and I must have mixed things around and bought something that I thought would have UASP.
Nonetheless, this thread still has it's purpose to determine whether ASUS Merlin's FW is really using this device in UASP mode.

Last edited:
You can get some more information with cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices. Look for the Driver= line. But from your output above it looks like it will be uas rather than usb-storage.

I'm using "Inateck" branded Sata3-to-USB3 Adapter that supposably supports UASP,
Nonetheless, this thread still has it's purpose to determine whether ASUS Merlin's FW is really using this device in UASP mode.
It all comes down to the chipset used by the Inateck adapter. From the Amazon page several people asked about UASP and both replies indicate it does not support UASP. Thats the problem with more than a few of these types of low cost USB to SATA adapters. The chipset used in a lower end adapter model may vary from the Asmedia ASM chipset which typically supports UASP and the JMicron JMS chipset which apparently doesn't support UASP. Its sometimes a crapshoot on which one you'll get when you order one of those adapters, product page sometimes is wrong or they've changed the chipset but not the product page.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!