What's new

More VOIP article coverage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

U

Unregistered

I'm a huge follower of this site, and I'm putting in my $0.02 for much greater coverage of VOIP hardware, software, and services.

Everyone who's building SOHO/SMB networks is facing VOIP installations these days. I'd love to see much richer coverage on which VOIP systems are best, and how well the various firewalls, routers, etc. are handling VOIP traffic and offer VOIP-related special features.

So thanks for the continuing coverage of Asterisk systems in today's article (July 14) and consider this a vote for much more VOIP reviews and coverage!

I'm a huge follower of this site, and I'm putting in my $0.02 for much greater coverage of VOIP hardware, software, and services.

Everyone who's building SOHO/SMB networks is facing VOIP installations these days. I'd love to see much richer coverage on which VOIP systems are best, and how well the various firewalls, routers, etc. are handling VOIP traffic and offer VOIP-related special features.

So thanks for the continuing coverage of Asterisk systems in today's article (July 14) and consider this a vote for much more VOIP reviews and coverage!

I would second that, though I would also add that having a 'getting started' guide that gets updated periodically would be nice. I know what asterisk is, I know - in theory - how it gets to the outside world (i.e. the 'real' telephone lines), and I have some idea that there are devices I could buy that would let my voice go to someone else's ear via this system. Beyond that it gets really fuzzy. Today's article served to whet my appetite for more.

Just yesterday I had a conversation with my ITSP about firewalls & routers. Their perspective on it is really simple; only Cisco and Juniper have application layer gateways that correctly handle the wide variety of NAT & media handling issues related to SIP traffic.

They recommend that we disable any SIP ALG completely if we're using anything else. In that case their proxy provides a far-end NAT traversal solution.

The thing is, I'm told that that there are some consumer routers that include a SIP ALG, but don't give you any adjustments or the ability to turn it off.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!