What's new

Mount Point with Parentheses after Health Scan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gk802

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AC68U running the latest Asus-Merlin firmware. I have an attached USB storage device. Occasionally, after running the health scan via the GUI, I find that the device mount point has been changed from "VolumeName" to "VolumeName(1)". This results in the content of the drive being inaccessible until I unmount it, go in via SSH and manually remove the "/tmp/mnt/VolumeName(1)" directory and remount the device. Curious if anyone has run across this issue and found a solution other than manual intervention. It's almost as if the remount is being attempted before the cleanup following unmount is complete, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

I've seen this when the router is unable to unmount the device cleanly because the device is in use. If that's the case then there will be messages to that effect in the syslog.

If you keep doing health scans does the suffix keep incrementing, (2), (3), (4), etc. or is it only the first one?

Is "VolumeName" the actual name of the volume or is it something else? For example, if you have a volume name that contains spaces or certain special characters that might be the reason it isn't able to delete the mount point.

I've also seen problems where two USB devices were connected at the same time but both had the same volume label.

The structure of Samsung_T5 and Media_db(1) is 60 bytes long and the structure of the others are multiples of 1024.
Directory entries that show as 60 bytes are mount points (e.g. the partition has been unmounted) that have not been deleted. It is 60 bytes because it contains a hidden file called .autocreated-dir. If you delete the hidden file the size is reduced to 40 bytes. The mount point must be deleted otherwise the router will create a new one with the (1) suffix when next mounting that partition.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!