What's new

Moving from RT-AC3100 to RT-AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elrengo

Regular Contributor
Hi! My RT-AC3100 started to fail. Talking with some people, the issue may be a failure in an internal power provider with voltage issues. Always the issue appears when I had connected my 1 or 2 HDD, One of them is the 1 TB used with Entware.
Today I received my purchased from Amazon, the new RT-AX88U Pro.
Before to start to configure, I would like to know if it is possible to use my old HDD (WD External USB3) in my new router. Obviously, I will re-install the Entware and all the scripts, but I would not lose all the data. The hard drive is formatted in Ext 4 and a SWAP file system, for the router.
Currently, I'm using the works' laptop, that laptop has blocked the access to GitHub, that makes impossible to access to the step by step to install merlin. It's another option to find it?

Another recommendation I saw in the forum, is to set the new 8-character alphanumeric SSID's and 16-character passwords with the same characteristics., This requirement is for any technical limitation?

Thanks for all the help!!!

Before to start to configure, I would like to know if it is possible to use my old HDD (WD External USB3) in my new router. Obviously, I will re-install the Entware and all the scripts, but I would not lose all the data. The hard drive is formatted in Ext 4 and a SWAP file system, for the router.
Of course. Probably best to completely delete the existing entware directory on the USB drive before reinstalling Entware.

Currently, I'm using the works' laptop, that laptop has blocked the access to GitHub, that makes impossible to access to the step by step to install merlin. It's another option to find it?
Here are the github installation instructions:
You can download the firmware from https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download.

Since Asuswrt-Merlin is mostly a variant of the original Asuswrt, it means that there is no special procedure to flash it. Just flash it the same way you would flash any regular Asus firmware. A few notes:

• Starting with Asus's 3.0.0.4.380_3000, a new firmware format is used. To flash Asuswrt-Merlin on one of these newer firmwares, you will need 380.61 or newer. Likewise, downgrading to an older version is not supported. (Try firmware recovery mode if you really need to downgrade.)
  • The RT-AC68U and RT-AC56U need to be at least on firmware 378.55 (or the last 378.xxx version from Asus) before you can flash 380.xx or newer, due to the partition size change.
  • It's recommended to reboot the router before flashing it, to free up sufficient memory. Otherwise, there's a chance the router might reject the firmware, due to running too low of free RAM.
  • If coming from a non-Asuswrt firmware, you will have to do a factory default reset.
  • While it is generally not necessary to restore to factory defaults, it's not a bad idea, especially if there is a big jump in version number (e.g. from 112 to 178). No need to do the 30/30/30 dance as required by DD-WRT - just do a plain Factory Default reset, or turn the device on while keeping the WPS button pressed. (The procedure can be different from one model to another.)
  • It is very hard to brick an Asus router. If something goes wrong during flashing, you can put your router in Recovery mode by powering it on while you keep Reset pressed. After your release it, the power LED will either blink or stay off (depending on the model). At that point, you can either access it through http://192.168.1.1 (make sure you first give your PC a static IP within the same range, e.g. 192.168.1.100), or through the Firmware Recovery Tool provided on Asus's support CD. You will then be able to flash a working firmware.
  • If something looks weird, don't waste too much time: save your settings, reset to factory default, reconfigure the basics, and see if the issue is resolved. If not, you can always restore your saved settings and do some more advanced troubleshooting.
  • It is not recommended to restore settings saved under a different firmware version. It might work, but there is no guarantee.
  • Some archives contain two firmware image files, one of them with the _rog suffix. This image uses the original ROG themed UI from Asus. This is only available for ROG models (with the GT- prefix), and is provided as experimental alternative. The only difference between the two files is the UI interface itself.

Another recommendation I saw in the forum, is to set the new 8-character alphanumeric SSID's and 16-character passwords with the same characteristics., This requirement is for any technical limitation?
There is no technical reason to use different Wi-Fi details for a new router. I've always used the same details on all of my routers.

Last edited:
Thanks for your assistance! The recommendations about 8 characters limits has taken my attention, for SSID and Domain Network (Workgroup)

Yes, there are technical reasons for a new SSID.

Thanks L&LD for your illumination. I am using a new SSID but has more than 8 characters, I need to change it.
Moreover, another difference I found. I do not find the following configurations:

"Format JFFS partition at next boot"
"Brute Force Protection"

And also I would like to know your recommendation, I usually use Firefox, "Prevent client auto DoH" what is the better config? "Auto", "Yes" or "No".

I am using a new SSID but has more than 8 characters, I need to change it.

Only if you really enjoy reconfiguring all your wireless devices. I personally don't and I use the same SSIDs for many years in 4 different locations and through few equipment upgrades. My mobile devices connect automatically to whatever network I'm closer to, to the same or different brand access points. Your choice, of course.

Obviously, I do not enjoy doing it, but like Yoda says: “Do or do not. There is no try”. When I configure the router, I would like to configure to have the best performance on it.

New SSID will test your best performance in reconfiguring the entire network of wireless clients. If you have many IoTs like most people do - have fun. I would just set the same SSID and password and reconnect only the clients with eventual rare case issues. And get the same performance after. You may test both ways, if you like. It's your time.

Someone know where is the new location for the reboot option like JFFS partition format and also the configuration for security for brute force protecion with ssh?
Thanks

There is no more JFFS partition format option in GUI. Formatting the new UBIFS partition happens only on hard factory reset.

Be sure you check the 'Initialize all settings...' box before you reset the router via the GUI to (fully reset) and format the UBIFS partition (no more JFFS).

Thanks!
Exist any alternative config to force brute protection?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!