What's new

Multi-WAN Load Balancing through pfSense or Wireless Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

64t0

New Around Here
Hi, everyone.

I have three separate ISP connections, each with their own router. I was considering getting a TP-Link load balancing router for this, but while I'm waiting for its availability, I thought up of two other possibilities:
  • I would like to use pfSense for load balancing between these three routers. Is it possible to do this with a switch rather than attaching three additional network cards to the pfSense box?
    • The pfSense box would have a single RJ-45 port, which is connected to a network switch.
    • Each of the three routers will occupy an RJ-45 port on the switch.
    • The rest of the LAN will connect to one port on this switch as well through a cable from another switch.
    • pfSense will then be set to aggregate the bandwith from the three WAN connections and distribute them to the rest of the LAN nodes.
Can this be done, or is it necessary to have four RJ-45 ports on the pfSense box?

...or...​
  • Can each of the three routers be connected to separate but adjacent workstations, and then the workstations set up in a mesh in such a way that the internet connection will be shared and load balanced among the rest of the computers in the LAN.

Thanks.

You can do it with pfsense and a semi managed switch however just get a 4 port used Intel server NIC. I managed to get a low profile one for £25 on ebay which is the price of a 5 port semi managed switch.